Tuesday, January 10, 2017

25th Battalion (Nova Scotia Rifles), CEF


This is the 25th Battalion (Nova Scotia Rifles), CEF. Like the other two battalions I’ve finised for the 5th Canadian Infantry Brigade (22e  Battalion (Canadien Français) and 24th Battalion (Victoria Rifles), CEF ) the miniatures are from Gripping Beast/Woodbine Design

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version):


25th Battalion (Nova Scotia Rifles), CEF


The formation patch for the 25th Battalion was a red triangle surmounting a blue patch – the blue patch was for the 2nd Division, the triangle indicated the third battalion within the brigade and the red indicated the second brigade within the division.

I’ve been laid low with a nasty cold the last few days. These miniatures were actually finished on the weekend, I just never got a chance to nip outside during the few daylight hours we have at this time of year to take a picture.


Today was brilliantly sunny – with just a bit of fresh snow…


Unfortunately sunny and clear at this time of year usually means REALLY FREAKING COLD! (check out that windchill!) 

I have started work on the final battalion for this Brigade - 26th Battalion (New Brunswick) – but despite being home all day long, I’ve mostly been lying around in bed and too tired to keep my eyes open to paint, let alone actually focus on the little buggers… Not really what I needed right now.


Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

26th Battalion (New Brunswick), CEF

After I finish the 26th Battalion (New Brunswick),  I have one more battalion to finish up the 4th Brigade and then need to get some figures for the 6th Brigade and then the British Brigade that was attatched to the Canadian Crops… then it’s on to Germans!! (And terrain!!) 

13 comments:

  1. Another fantastic battalion, Tim!

    As for winter weather, I am BURIED in snow. Sixteen inches and counting. Last two days it has actually warmed up to 20F. Temps had been hovering around 0F. Brr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan!

      Good for skiing I guess... when it warms up a bit!

      Delete
    2. Good for skiing, no doubt but I am a cyclist!

      Delete
  2. The boys are looking good boy,

    That wind chill is a good example of why I now live in Nova Scotia. I now consider anything below -10 to be cold and below -20 to be unnatural. Now to see what damage 3 days of rain can do to a foot of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's now an Extreme Cold Warming in effect. Environment Canada is saying we should expect -40°C windchill through to Thursday... but on Sunday they're calling for -2°C!?

      My partner Amanda came here form Ontario - like, Southern Ontario - Windsor to be precise and for 20 years has been moaning all winter "Why do we live here!?" and never gets tired of telling the story about her first day in Saskatoon - in April - she had come in on the train arriving at Midnight, took a cab downtown to a hostel, and when she woke up it was snowing and she wondered; "What have I done?! What is this place that I have come to where it snows in April!?"

      Delete
    2. Windsor shouldn't really count as part of Canada as far as weather goes. It's practically tropical. (My wife comes from there so I know.)

      Delete
    3. Ha! Totally.

      Whenever I complain about the heat in the summer she always says; "but this is a DRY heat... You have NO IDEA!"

      Delete
  3. Excellent job Tim, as always...and this second picture is truly wonderful, I do like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More super looking ww1 Canadians, which make is your favourite now that you've painted a pile of them ? I'm not going to get into the weather as if we see snow here during the winter we are always surprised and thrown into panic, it's not even freezing and I'm not sure I'll be able to fly home from Dublin today!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain!

      If I had to choose one, it'd probably be Great War Miniatures.

      One of these days I should do some figure comparison pics.

      Delete