Tuesday, March 14, 2017

So… Vimy…


Not happening this year. Sorry.

I want to thank everyone that has commented on this blog and been so supportive of the project.

Though time has been running short, that wasn’t really what killed it. I probably could have gotten it done – though it might not have been as pretty as I originally intended. It wasn’t even the lack of enthusiasm – I could have worked through that. I sat down with my mostly finished plan and started pricing out the materials I’d have to run out and get to build the terrain and WOW prices of building materials have gone up since I last bought any in quantity! It was going to cost a LOT more than I’d originally budgeted for (and my original budget for the project was going to completely blow my year’s toys spending budget as it was). That was the final nail in the coffin. (Well that and the kitchen renovation that Amanda’s suddenly decided MUST HAPPEN THIS YEAR!!! But that’s a whole other story…).

So it’s not happening for the 100th anniversary, which is a bit of a shame… Not saying it’s never going to happen. When I made peace with the fact that it wasn’t happening this year It felt like a great weight had been lifted off of me and with it the general disinterest and loathing for the project. I’ll return to this some day, but it’s not going to be this year.

I may or may not do a Passchendaele battle in the fall. I have all the figures! I wouldn’t make any terrain boards – just a bunch of shell craters and pill boxes and distribute those over a table covered with a brown cloth (a little less costly and labour intensive!) I had thought of doing it for ToonCon, but I’m also planning a jet bike racing game using Faustus Furius and jet bikes from Ramshackle Games (from the Jet Bike Construction Kit Kickstarter) and I’m not sure I really want to run TWO games at the con… We’ll see…

For now… I need to do something else. I’ve been working on some English Civil War figures to try and finish up a couple of companies for Pikeman’s Lament (and/or En Garde and/or Flashing Steel). I’ve also been eyeing up my fantasy and medieval stuff and planning units for Lion Rampant/Dragon Rampant and Song of Blades and Heroes. Yesterday another package arrived from Magister Militum with some more Lead Adventure Post Apocalyptic figures (for some more Mutants and Death Ray Guns action!). And I guess since I won't be so insanely busy building terrain, we should get back to some BOARDGAMES! So, I’ll be keeping myself busy. 

It's also getting warm again this week (-1°C forecast for today and daytime highs above freezing for teh next week!) and i want to get out RIDING



Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

ECW Dismounted Cavalry!

11 comments:

  1. My thought has always been that if a hobby Something ceases to be fun, for whatever reason, then it's time to do something else for a while.

    You've still raised awareness and entertained your audience and there is always the iconic 101st anniversary. Mind you, if it were me, I'd bethinking more 101.4th anniversary, played outside on a warm summer day, somewhere where you can just dig trenches in the dirt and fill it in when you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be on to something there, Ross! Play it in a backyard sand table (or sand box) - that would be so much cheaper than the dedicated terrain boards I'd planned - and totally recyclable when I'm done! Brilliant!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Much as I enjoyed see the build progress- it is your hobby not mine. Go with what you feel like. I look forward to seeing your new projects.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to follow your gaming muse. Have fun with your other projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got a nice big pile of khaki to use whenever you feel like it with minimal pressure, nice! Building materials costs, currently building an extension,with new kitchen, new bathroom new extra bathroom digging out basement, oh yeah I know all about building costs! Glad you're happy with your decision and I look forward to something apart from khaki and field grau!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your hobby ceases to be fun then it's time for a change of gear. Escapism is meant to be just that, an escape from pressure, obligation and all the other things we deal with daily. Good on you for finding a way to let it go (for now at least).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the other posters. We do this for fun and sometimes the pressure of meeting a specific deadline can cut into that fun. I know I felt a certain release of pressure when I gave up on my plans for a big 200th anniversary Hougomont game.

    ReplyDelete