Thursday, May 31, 2018

Highland Commanded Shot

As I finished up the Highland Clansmen I finished up earlier this week, I pulled out these hoping to get them done before my game with Bob on Tuesday. I didn't end up finishing them in time, but as it turns out I didn't need them as I had only 1 point left over to fill and that was filled in with Clubmen.



Highland Commanded Shot. Figures are from Essex Miniatures, Warlord Games, Dixon Miniatures and Eureka Miniatures!

In The Pikeman's Lament, a standard company is 24 points. Most regular units are 4 points each (Pike, Shot, Horse). They can be upgraded or downgraded some (for +2 or -1 points), but at four points 6 standard units makes a nice, neat force... When adding in a Forlorn Hope (such as Robert MacRame and his band of thugs), that kind of messes things up a bit. Instead of having to downgrade a couple units (or upgrade one) to make the points work out, I thought it would be handy to have a 2 point unit of Commanded Shot.  I've just realized however, if he's leading a band made up entirely of clansmen, he'll have no need of the Commanded shot...

Here are a couple ways I was thinking I could field the Scots Royalists..

1x Forlorn Hope (MacRame and his Thugs) @6points
1x Irish Shot @ 4 points
1x Irish Pike @ 4 points
3x Highland Clansmen @ 3 points each
1x Clubmen (local villagers) @ 1 point 
(A mix of Irish and Highland Clansmen - This is the force I fielded in my game with Bob on Tuesday)

1x Forlorn Hope (MacRame and his Thugs) @6points
2x Irish Shot @ 4 points each
2x Irish Pike @ 4 points each
1x Commanded Shot @ 2 points
(mostly Irish - at some point I should pick up another unit of Irish Pike and maybe a unit of dragoons to field as an entirely Irish force - with a NEW Officer! 

1x Forlorn Hope (MacRame and his Thugs) @6points
6x Highland Clansmen @ 3 points each
(All Clansmen, all the time... this would suck against a company largely comprised of Horse!) 

I'm kind of tempted to finish up the rest of the stuff I have earmarked for this force - about two dozen more Clansmen, and a unit each of Irish Pike and Shot... Well that is until I decide to do something daft like rebase all the ECW figures I have on multi-figure bases for DBA and the like... (I've been thinking about it!!) 


Coming Soon to Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog:

Probably a round up of May's games, then some Seven Years War British... I started painting them back in February and almost completed them and they've been loitering on the fringes of the painting table ever since - they were so close to being finished I just couldn't put them away in a storage box! The figures are done, I just have to finish a couple of flags. 

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done, especially the tartan on the kilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice highlander shot, rebassing no!! Well whatever you want to do,thats just my reaction to the word,got my Montrose army out, just to look at, not in the current plan or anything..
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've re-based so many things so many times, I've kind of gotten really quick at it. The daft thing is that Pikeman's Lament could TOTALLY be played with minis on multi-figure bases... but the idea of mixing square multifigure bases with singly-based figures on round bases seriously bothers my whole sense of aesthetic... I know, I've got issues...

      Delete