Sunday, December 2, 2018

Whoops! It's December!? (November Games)

Gaming kind of fell by the wayside this month. There were a number of reasons for this. A stomach bug made its rounds through the family. Also Amanda ended up teaching SIX yoga classes a week through November (you know, on TOP of her regular day job!?). Plus all the other stuff we've been busy with all fall - Finnegan with the new school program, The Girl with Dance and stuff, etc.



Actually, other than the couple games of Kill Team we got in (Guaiacan Commandoes Arrive on Xoxigar and Fearless Foraging), there were only two other games played this month, both on the same night...



One was a game of Samarkand... (Amanda won with 57 points, Taotao was second with 54, Finnegan and I tied for last with 48)



The other was a quick game of Splendor. (Amanda won this as well, I was close behind with 10, Finnegan had 8, I think Taotao only had one... but it was his first game and he wasn't quite picking it up as quick as other games we've played with him - he usually picks up games startlingly quickly and often does very well - or wins his first game! I'm sure next time we play with him, he'll crush us!)

Yeah... that's it...

Hopefully we'll get some more gaming in over the holidaze!

4 comments:

  1. What games would you recommend for a nine year old, my granddaughter is keen to move beyond Top Trumps, Ludo and Othello?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never played Top Trumps, Ludo, OR Othello...

      I find recommendations hard. Depends on a lot of things. What sort of stuff is your grand daughter interested in...? Off the top of my head, games my kids were playing at nine...

      Song of Blades and Heroes (if she's at all interested in jumping into a fantasy miniature game - or Frostrgrave, for that matter).

      Carcassonne is probably a good one.

      My kids were playing 7 wonders at nine, and I'm sure I've taught it to younger children.

      The Flux games are fun and light.

      Love Letter - also fun, light and quick - but requires paying attention and a bit or probability and education.

      Maybe Splendor or Century: Spice Road or Century: Golem Edition....?

      Small World? Lords of Waterdeep?

      Oh, Monarch, if you can find it! My daughter LOVES it.

      any of the Codenames games...?

      Hope that helps...?

      Delete
  2. My friend teaches at highschool and is starting up a 'history club' with the intent to play boardgames to better learn/teach about history. I can tell you play many many games. Anything that leaps out that you'd suggest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any particular time periods...?

      I homeschool our kids and we've used a LOT of games in our "curriculum". We worked our way through a survey of world history and I tried to find games to go with as many sections that we covered. I wrote a couple of blog posts about the first two section (I have two more posts half-written about the other to books... Not sure when or if I'll ever get to posting those... The first two can be found here:

      https://saskminigamer.blogspot.com/2015/07/gaming-our-way-through-history-part-1.html

      https://saskminigamer.blogspot.com/2015/12/gaming-our-way-through-history-part-2.html

      Some of the real stand-outs I can recall were:

      Parthenon: Rise of the Aegean - trading and building in the ancient aegean

      Alexander the Great - from Mayfair Phallanx - it's less of a war game and just follows the path of Alexanders conquests - players are competing to build temples and cities as the campaign goes on and gain points for doing so.

      Samarkand: Route to Riches - building trade routes in the ancient Middle East.

      I seem to recall Joan of Arc seemed really interesting and I wanted to try it again with 6 players, but haven't had a chance to...

      The New Science is really good.

      A bunch of the games from Academy games - 1812: Invasion of Canada, 1775: Rebellion, and Freedom: The Underground Railroad were all good.

      I'm sure I could think of more....

      Delete