The Fall/Fourth Quarter is alway a bit rough... right when I'm looking at what I've been doing for the first three quarters of the year and feeling like I've gone a bit overboard and should ease up on the spending... My FLGS, Dragon's Den Games in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada had THREE big sales in the space of three months... Their Anniversary Sale at the beginning of October, Black Friday in November, AND a Boxing Day (or WEEK!) Sale at the end of December!?
I have gone a little overboard in the past.
I tried, for the first of the three this year, to show a little restraint.
Tried...
I'm not sure if I succeeded...
First I bought Finspan.
One one hand, I've been thinking about it for some time... It looks more interesting than Wyrmspan - which I did NOT ever end up buying. We have played a LOT of Wingspan and enjoyed it enough... this... might be similar, but hopefully different enough to justify having the two...
(On the other hand... we HAVEN'T BEEN PLAYING many board games at all this past year... or even the last two years... do I really NEED to be buying MORE games?! Game play IS up from last year, a bit... but that's a pretty low bar considering last year was probably the lowest it's been in... 20...? 30...? YEARS!?)
(It's a LITTLE easier to justify when THE ENTIRE GAME - with everything you will ever need to play it - costs less than your bog standard squad of 10 standard Space Marines for 40K...)
I also picked up the new book for Five Parsecs from Home - Planetfall
I really liked the solo campaign I started last year... (nope... that was THREE YEARS AGO, now... I've been living in a timewarp ever since COVID!?) and hope to pick it up again sometime! I also liked running it as a lite role-playing game for the online group... and if/when we ever finish the Stargrave Campaign... I could see running a Five Parsecs from Home campaign for the same group... or another group!?
Did I NEED to buy it NOW...?! Probably not... But the Den doesn't always have these in stock, and the publisher or distributor doesn't always have them available, so I thought I'd best snap it up before I miss out, like I did with Bug Hunt!
In other news... I have done ZERO work on the Monsters for Beast Feast... If I get my philosophy paper read this afternoon, I'll do some work on them this evening... maybe... Regardless, I have some time set aside Friday and Saturday evening to get to work on them. It's only two weeks away on Saturday!!


I definitely want to pick up Planetfall. If I came across it in a shop I would grab it for sure. Wingspan is enough for me. I don't see me wanting the fishy version. Might've have been tempted by the dragon version, being a dragon fan, but I don't really need it and it hasn't been calling to me.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I get that... I was really torn about whether or not to pick up Finspan... but then the realization that it now costs less than a single unit of most miniatures for any Warhammer game... or less than a meal for the family at a restaurant or an evening out at a play or musical or really anything else we do these days... if we play it ONCE and it entertains us for an evening... it was money as well spent as for anything else we do... and I do feel like we WILL play Finspan at least twice! Ha!
DeleteI played Wyrmspan and... it was okay... just like Wingspan is okay... It wasn't different enough or interesting enough for me to buy into that one. For some reason fish seemed interesting, though...!?
(Wingspan isn't exactly my FAVOURITE game... but Amanda LOVES it... mostly for the pretty cards!? I can't complain about that... most games I buy are for the pretty miniatures!?)
Bug hunt has been reprinted as part of the compendium. There's also one on running a mercenary unit.....☺
ReplyDeleteNeil
Yes! The Compendium is what I meant by Bug Hunt! The store had a copy in at one point and I hummed and hawed too long and someone else bought it and they haven't had a copy since!
DeleteI did buy Tactics when I saw it there, but haven't really had a look at it.. I just didn't want to miss out on getting a copy because I felt like I'd eventually incorporate it into the Five Parsecs From Home campaign(s) - not realizing it was kind of it's own separate thing (as I am realizing now that Planetfall is!)
I had kind of thought Planetfall would just be an expansion to the FPFH core game adding new scenarios and patrons and hostiles for you to encounter in your travels about the galaxy... having read a bit of it last night (when I SHOULD have been reading a philosophy paper for my class today!!) I realized it's kind of it's own thing - rather than a ship captain, you are the administrator of a brand new colony!? It DOES have suggestions/rules for bringing characters you've played in FPFH or Tactics into a new Planetfall campaign, though, because it is, effectively, the same system for tactical encounters!
It looks VERY COOL!!!
And today, for my birthday, I decided to browse at one of my local bookstores, which has a section of game books and also some board games, along with lots of books and other items. They carry new and used books (regular books and game books). They had Planetfall, so I grabbed a copy, as I said I would. I also picked up a small game called Tenby, which I had seen several people post about on BGG. Looked like a light fun little game that can be played solo.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday!
DeleteYay! I spent way too much time reading planetfall (and not my homework!) last night and I got very excited about trying it out!!
I'd not heard of Tenby, so I looked it up on BoardGameGeek! That does look fun!
We might try Finspan tonight!
Thanks! So much fun stuff, not enough time for it all! ha ha
Delete