Thursday, March 23, 2017

English Pike


Another unit ready for The Pikeman’s Lament...

I had thought I’d hold off on posting these and use them for a round of the Lead Painter’s League, but then I realized I’ve submitted photos for the first three rounds and the league doesn’t even get under way until April – so I don’t have to submit another team for a MONTH!? While I know some people are painting away to get ahead of the game, painting up a new batch of five figures a week is nothing for me, so…

Figures are from Old Glory Miniatures

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version):


One unit of Pike for The Pikeman’s Lament.

Four of these I actually painted over a year ago, but I used much shorter and skinnier pikes, so I replaced those when I painted up this unit (and ended up repainting their gloves!).


When the dust settles I should have four units of pike and four of shot for the English.

Being all part of a company they should probably all have the same colour uniform… but I’m doing each in a different colour – though there will be similar colours. The red and orange units could be in one company, and the blue and green units in the other…

Of course two units of pike and two units of shot isn’t going to make complete companies… I’ll need to add some other stuff, but I will have a couple units of  Horse and I do have the Forlorn Hopes Dismounted Cavalry… not to mention a few Clubmen to pad things out where necessary…


Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

Probably some More ECW Pike… or a report of some ECW action with The Pikeman’s Lament.

7 comments:

  1. Nice work! Who says all must wear the same uniform? Not true! Even those that had "uniform" uniforms often had different clothing distributions and not always of the same color. Especially with wear and fading, red can easily become orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan!

      Oh, I know... Even within this unit above I've tried to include some variation - Different shades of red in their jackets, a few different shades of leather buff coats, guys with different coloured breeches, etc...

      Delete
  2. Very nice mate. Love the Old Glory sculpts for ECW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive - and beautiful - pikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking pikemen, I'm glad you've gone for longer pikes, they just look better!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In addition to being longer, the wire I used is also a thicker gauge...

      I'm sure there's a joke there about size and mattering... but I'm just not going to go there...

      Delete