Saturday, February 16, 2013

Burn, Baby, Burn!

I made a couple of brew-up/burn markers for marking which tanks/vehicles are now just terrain features on the battlefield after being destroyed… I suppose they could also mark houses that have been lit up, or ever piles of trash that might have been lit, or anything that could possibly burn on the battlefield…


(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version):


The markers are essentially tore-up pieces of Styrofoam glued to washer bases (for weight and durability). I’m not fond of Styrofoam terrain pieces as they tend not to be terribly durable – but there’s a few layers of pain on these and a good layer of paint-on matte varnish, so I’m hoping they’ll last at least a little bit…


A T-34 brews up somewhere on the Eastern Front. 


Luckily this Canadian Sherman crew was able to bail before their tank brewed up. 


...as did this panzer crew - though, one seems to have been injured... 


Works for moderns too: Flame and smoke boil out of hte hatches of a knocked out BTR-60


Sometimes that ERA just doesn't work... (darn, I'd got out a few of the modern British casualty markers to litter the area around the burning Warrior, but as it was one of hte last pictures I was getting a bit cold and in the hurry to finish up I totally forgot...) 


Works on the 20mm/1:72 kits as well... 

I should probably do a few more of these... especially if I started building up all the 1:72 kits I have - I could have some gloriously large armoured actions! Brewed up vehicles everywhere! MWA-HA-HA-Ha-Ha-ha-ha-haaaaaa... 

Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

Some 28mm Modern Soviets seem more likely to be finished up next. I started the batch last night, but didn't make much progress as I sat down to paint them while listening to the feature commentary track on Paul... I made a lot of mistakes while laughing - which seriously impeded my progress! 

Perhaps before that, however, I may have another Bolt Action AAR.... 

7 comments:

  1. They look surprisingly effective, just the sort of thick dark smoke you'd expect from such a source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - I've always used cotton wool to mark burning things in the past and, being white, never really looked quite right!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. They look useful and effective.
    Who makes that 20mm BMP you show in the last shot though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers!

      The kits are made by a company called ACE out of Ukraine. I can't really recommend them unless you absolutely LOVE spending a LOT of time modeling and carving away at ill-fitting parts to make them go together in some resemblance of what it's supposed to look like.

      They were cheap... I had time on my hands... I have a dozen or so more of their kits to put togehter at some point, but considering my focus is on 28mm that isn't likely to happen super soon... They do make kits of odd stuff that no one else does. They make Canadian Grizzlies and Cougars - which I picked a bunch up for my 20mm Cold War Canadians.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info!
      I am all to familiar with Ace: the fact that I didn't recognize it as Ace is a complement for your modeling skills!
      I saw pictures of the S&S BMP kit recently, and they look like a good alternative. If I ever expand to company level Russians I may go with them. I already have a platoon of Ace BMP-2s.
      Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. They look good Tim. I am guessing that the styrofoam used was the white stuff readily found in most electronics boxes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry!

      Yes, that is exactly what it is.

      Delete