Friday, February 8, 2013

Generic Modern Middle Eastern Regulars


Usually I paint in groups of 5-10 guy - A fire team or squad – for modern stuff. For the Great War I’ll paint a unit at a time – 15 guys. For DBA/HOTT I paint a stand or two at a time, maybe three… which could be anywhere from 8 to 18… 24 at most (if I was doing three stands of 8…). This week I did something a little different – I painted an entire force of THIRTY!!

These figures are Syrians from Mongrel Miniatures, but I’ve tried to paint them up in a generic khaki – rather than a specific camouflage pattern – in hopes that I could pass them off as any sort of Middle East/Central Asian force armed with soviet equipment… Syrians… Egyptians… Iranians… Iraqis…. Pakistanis…? Maybe even regulars from Burkhaderkastan or Stanistan…? In a pinch I might even try to pass them off as Nicaraguans or Cubans in a “Red Dawn” scenario… (or the Peoples Revolutionary Army of Mexico – P.R.A.M.)

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version):


The whole force


I have two command teams, maybe one could be a forward observation officer…?


One squad has berets and/or camo jackets. I kind of figured they could be a section of some “elite” formation – commandos, presidential guard, special police, etc.

I have enough for the rest to break down into three squads of about five, each with an RPG and a Machine-gun. A couple squads get a guy with a SVD rifle who may or may not be a designated marksman…


First Squad


Second Squad


Third Squad


Support weapons from the company or battalion…

I have to say I’m not a huge fan of support weapon teams in “moving” poses… I do like them in firing position….

This force could further be supported by or ferried about by the BTR-60s and the T-72s, whenever I get them done…

Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

A couple more moderns in a few minutes, then some Argentines, maybe tomorrow or Sunday… Then I should really get to work on some terrain!! 

3 comments:

  1. These are nice, good choice for generic color theme, they do pass for many countries. Actually I'been pondering to get some such, thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done Tim. They look to me as if they could pass for generic bad guys in any Central American or Middle Eastern country. You've achieved a useful generic look.

    ReplyDelete