Sunday, October 23, 2016

1st (Western Ontario) Battalion, CEF

Here, finally, is the next battalion finished for the Vimy Project; 1st (Western Ontario) Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force, part of the 1st Brigade, 1st Canadian Division.

The figures for the battalion, as with all of the 1st Brigade are all from Wargames Foundry

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version):
 

1st (Western Ontario) Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force.



The formation patch for the 1st Battalion was a green circle surmounting a red patch – the red patch was for the 1st Division, the circle was the for the senior battalion within the brigade and the green was the senior brigade within the division.

Up next will hopefully be the 2nd battalion. I’d hoped to finish the brigade by the end of the month, but that’d mean I’d have three battalions to do in the next week and a half… it could happen…

Actually, come to think of it, it most likely won’t happen – even if I painted all the figures I have, as I’ve realized I am ONE FIGURE SHORT of being able to complete all four battalions – actually I’m three riflemen short – but I have a spare Lewis gun team I could add to a unit… So if anyone out there in blogger land happens to have a British rifleman they could spare I’d greatly appreciate it! Actually if you had three riflemen and wanted to trade for my spare Lewis gun team – that’d be even better! (I’ll even paint them for you!)

I suppose I could use some of the spares I have from other manufacturers... but something about that bothers me. A lot. (just a bit OCD - but I think you kind of HAVE to be to get anything done in this hobby!) 


Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

2nd (Eastern Ontario) Battalion, CEF? I started in on them last night and had hoped to have a bunch of time this afternoon and evening to work on them, but I kind of need to get some work done on a few bikes this afternoon... 

6 comments:

  1. Nice but at what point does a skirmish become a battle necessitating the rebasing of everything onto multi-figure movement trays? The detail you put into theses 'drab' uniforms is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. In my case, with these units I'm building up for the Vimy Project, multi-figure bases or movement trays just won't work with the highly varied terrain surface these are meant to fight over - steep hills, trenches, shell craters, etc.

      Some time ago I decided - with the exception of a few matched DBA?HotT armies I have I'd just base all my guys singly, because... well... I like them that way. Also, I figured that way they could be used for skirmish games or potentially be grouped together and used in units for games like Lion Rampant/Dragon Rampant/Men Who Would be Kings or Black Powder or Two Hour Wargames or similar where basing is not defined and/or does not really matter.

      The Vimy project IS going to be huge - with 48 Canadian battlions and almost half as many Germans, but my hope is that I will have enough players that each one commands a brigade (of four such units) and much of the action will be taken simultaneously.

      Delete
  2. Excellent minis, so nicely detailed. I´d love to see some closeup pics... :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      If you click on the it should open a larger version of the picture in the post...?

      (If I blow them up much more people will start to see that they're not actually painted that well!)

      Delete
  3. More lovely minis, very nicely painted,
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete