Sunday, March 26, 2017

More English Pike!


I finished up a second unit of English pike for The Pikeman’s Lament over the weekend. As with the recently painted English pike in red four of these were painted almost a year and a half ago, but I replaced their original pikes and repainted helmets and one of the buffcoats.


(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version):


A unit of Pike for The Pikeman’s Lament. Most of the figures are from Old Glory Miniatures, but there are three in there from Warlord Games as well.


Push of Pike!

I’ve said before I hate the “at charge” pose for wargaming figures – at least on multi-figure bases (such as for DBA-X) as long pikes sticking out in front of the bases often make it difficult or impossible for said bases to actually make contact. I’m starting to come around to the point where I don’t mind it so much in skirmish games – at least when they’re individually-based and can be moved to not block to combatants from making contact. Also, actually making physical contact in a skirmish game seems less important than in most games with multi-figure bases – as long as they theoretically had the move to make the distance and you know which point from where the losing combatant would have to retreat from…


Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

A GAME?! Maybe?! There’s trouble a-brewing in the highlands!

I have more highlanders on the workbench at the moment, and I’m just finishing up another batch of ECW Irish – which are going on a multi-figure base for my Scots Royalist DBA-X army. 

7 comments:

  1. More nice pikemen, Tim! I agree about your stance on pike on the gaming table. Figures at push of pike cause more trouble than they are worth when going into melee. I try to avoid that pose although I do have a unit or two in that position. Very difficult to bring into battle. For skirmishing gaming with single figures, I could see that it would present a lesser problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Controversially, I like the levelled pikes look, I've just lengthened the base to compensate, another nice looking regiment.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like the LOOK of them, for sure... but they present some challenges in terms of practicality for wargaming purposes. If the depth of your base does not matter, I suppose having really deep bases could take care of that... Do your musketeers then also have extra deep bases to match?

      Delete
  3. Sorry Siggian... I accidentally deleted your post... I hate that the delete and publish links are right next to each other in my notification emails!? I think this is the third time I've done this this year!? GAH!?

    Actually I thought I HAD clicked on publish but then the screen popped up saying "Comment Deleted" and I screamed at the computer!

    ReplyDelete