Wednesday, March 17, 2010

So… Now What?!


I don’t know…. Usually the week after a big gaming event I start thinking about what’s next. But right now I feel like I’m at a bit of a loss.

For the moment I’ve actually cancelled my weekly Wednesday gaming night… I’ll probably do the same for Savage Saturday shortly… and I’m officially canceling the gaming weekend originally planned for the end of May… and not making any promises about holding any future gaming weekends…

Oh, I’m not saying that I’m not playing games anymore. I’m just not having regularly scheduled weekly games. I need some time to recharge and get some painting done. Work on some projects… and rethink the format of larger (weekend) events.

I also want to get out on the bike some more.

So what AM I going to be working on… I don’t know… I don’t really feel like working on any big projects at the moment. Though I do like focusing on one thing and getting stuff done – because it’s the way to GET STUFF DONE - I feel totally scattered at the moment and trying to launch into one thing right now would be setting myself up for failure. There’s a half dozen or so projects I’d LIKE to be working RIGHT NOW! These include the Seven Years War British and French (and possibly some “imagi-nations”), Dark Ages DBA armies (Scots, Irish, Welsh, More English, and More Vikings), English Civil War, various Generic HOTT armies (Elves, Orcs, Dwarves, etc…), Lord of the Rings HOTT armies (Rohan, Gondor, Mordor, etc), Samurai DBA/HOTT armies, Sci-fi/Modern/Pulp/Horror skirmish… I’ve even occasionally had a hankering to bust out the 20mm Modern stuff…!? But obviously I just don’t have the time to do it ALL right now.

What I DO seem to have a lot of on the workbench lately is Sci-Fi Skirmish things (should have some pics of the latest stuff posted tomorrow).

We shall see.

8 comments:

  1. I think we all do need some time off (even from our hobbies) every now and again. It sounds like you've been doing a lot, and a little time to recharge might be just what you need. There's nothing wrong with that at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dispersion! Ach! Gross Malheur! The bane of many a wargamer...
    May I mention we heard nothing from either Luteland or your Piratesses for quite a long time now?

    Cheers,
    Jean-Louis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes taking a little break from your hobby is a good thing, especially if you're juggling a weekly game and other projects. I'm talking from experience--I've got a weekly game I run and still try to paint miniatures. Listen to what your body or mind is telling you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I violently agree with what everyone else is saying here Tim. I think you need a break. I came late to the party on the last weekend, but you looked worn out and like you weren't having much fun. I think you need to quit the big weekends for a bit, even though it is fun having everyone come from all over. Maybe we should all go camping for a weekend, or go on a (really easy) riding weekend that everyone can come out to. Or just let someone else do the GMing and organising for once.

    I will miss the shenanigans of the Muttonchop Express, but if you need to break from that for a bit, then do it. Take a load off! Let me or someone else run a game or campaign for once! Maybe you could play for a change...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, I will be there in about 3 weeks, I will crack out a couple of boardgames and we can play those for a week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys!

    I'm not really taking a break from "the Hobby" I'm still painting and plotting... I'm going to go paint some stuff tonight! I'm not even saying I'm not going to play ANY games for a while... I'm just not going to say I'm going to host games on a regular weekly basis... and I do have to rethink the wargame weekends before running any more...

    Off to paint some sci-fi mercs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. 20mm modern stuff? Really? I was wondering if you still had that stuff, or if you got rid of it all! Well, if you wouldn't mind, I would like to send you my packs of Warsaw pact and Nato troops from the 80s if that fits in somewhere with your stuff? Are the 80s still considered modern? ;)

    n.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I've still got the 20mm Modern stuff! ...and WW2 stuff ...I've even got some stuff for Future Wars in 20mm - I just didn't count them last October when I did the Big Stocktaking... because they were all "on hiatus" and it would have been just waaaaay to depressing... I have a LOT of unbuilt tank kits...

    One of the reasons I haven't done much with them is I've been considering reorganizing all the 20mm stuff (including a new common base size!). right now the infantry are on different sized bases than any equipment... in fact all the equipment are based "as needed". I'd like to get them all on to a common frontage so they could potentially be used with a DBA styled game as well as Cold War Commander - which I had previously been using... but I'm not sure exactly WHAT size to use...

    80mm (Double the regular size for 15mm) seems the most likely candidate - as I think 60mm would be a bit tight for some of the bigger modern battle tanks!

    ReplyDelete