Monday, February 13, 2017

Countdown to Vimy – 8 weeks to go!

Just under two months to go...

The Plan for this past week was to:

#1 Paint 45 Great War Germans to add to those painted last week and reorganize into 10 figure battalions to form the 3 regiments of the 79th Infantry Division.

They’re mostly still on the workbench… Partly painted. Some more than others... 

There are a few casualty and command types that are more or less finished and just need their bases finished. The rest.. well... they're LESS finished.

#2 Repaint collars on old 261 Reserve Infantry Regiment to match collars on 11th Bavarian Infantry Regiment reorganize those two regiments to form 11th Bavarian Infantry Regiment, Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment No. 1, and Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment No. 3.


I did repaint 45 collars to convert figures I’d painted for the 261st Reserve Regiment into elements of the 1st and 3rd Bavarian Reserve Regiments and painted up 9 or so others to finish off the three Bavarian regiments (only two of them are shown here). See more here: Bavarians

#3 Work on (and maybe try to Finalize!?) Terrain Plans

Little work was done on this…

(By "very little" I mean "none")

#4 Begin refurbishing rest of 4th Division’s Terrain…?

I've been trying to get motivated to do this for weeks, months ever, and I’ve finally come to the realization that going back and forth betweek paintng miniatures and building terrain is not in any way efficient. To be effective at either I need blocks of dedicated time and get into the Mode (Painting Mode or Terrain-Building Mode). Therefore Iv’e decided I’m going to try and finish up painting ALL the miniatures in the next couple of weeks and THEN have a month and a bit of solid terrain building.


There were a few figures that snuck on the the edge of the workbench and got a little paint on them... including some Lead Adventure Miniatures I’d ordered from Magister Militum (during a moment of weakness in January) arrived and I sort-of-kind-of painted a few.

I also spent a bit of time early in the week re-basing a few old biker minis so I could try out Faustus Furius... Then played the game... then wrote a report for it... You can find said report of the ensuing shenanigans here: Faustus Furius MMLIII

This Week:

I have 70-80 infantry, 3 machine-gun teams and possibly a few more trench mortar teams. Ideally I’d like to get at least HALF of that done this week – preferably MORE!!! 

Rest of February

Finish Germans – 4 more (10-man) battalions of units in reserve plus machine Guns and mortars.
Finish British (2 battalions – 30 figures) and Canadians (4 battalions – 60 figures – plus a few machine-gun and mortar teams)


Build Terrain


Make more wire and barrage markers

Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

Hopefully some painted Great War Germans!!