Sunday, June 17, 2018

Painting the Knight Update

I've been working on assembling and painting an Imperial Knight over the last week since I picked up Imperial Knights: Renegade just over a week ago. I also picked up the Imperial Knights Codex. Going through it I spotted an illustration of a Freeblade Knight Armiger with it's carapace painted in a pattern similar to the camouflage use on some German aircraft in the Great War.



 Which got me thinking I might do one of mine in a similar pattern. So I spent a day or two, while still assembling, messing around with some different pattern ideas.



I finally settled on one and started painting away... I have to admit at first I was thinking I'd made a horrible mistake.



As I got closer to finishing the area I was painting with the pattern - and especially as I did some the gilding on the edges - I started warming up to it.

Part of me feels like maybe it's too many different colours and/or I should have made the hexagons bigger... but at this point I'm leaving it and just going to have to live with it.



Still not sure how to paint the forward facing armour plates. Some sort of heraldic colours? Continue the "camouflage" pattern? At first I was thinking definitely heraldic patterns and not the camouflage, but now I'm considering it as an option...

I still haven't settled on what weapons to kit this one out with. It's not even entirely goes together at this point. The main body is just sitting on the legs and the carapace and shoulder guards are just sitting on the body at this point.


Coming Soon to Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog:

I'll hopefully finish this beast up within the week. I have a few other random 40K minis I'm trying to finish up - mostly stuff I'm going to be using with Blessings Unheralded, the Wrath & Glory quick-start rules and introductory adventure given out at Free RPG Day.

20 comments:

  1. Looks brilliant. You have a steadier hand than me my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a pretty steady hand! Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Very impressive, Tim! The colors and pattern are perfectly rendered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'l echo what has already been said: very impressive freehand work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking camo,it looks less chaotic than your warhound, I'd have thought it would work well with some heraldry.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! The lower parts of the armour will have some heraldic colours... if I ever decide which to use?!

      Delete
  5. Wow! That is turning out even better than I expected.

    Ideas for the lower portions: Continue the pattern. Continue the pattern, but with "mud" hex colors. Continue the pattern with urban camo colors. Paint them Horizon blue or similar light color blue as was done with a number of WWII airplane camo schemes.

    You could also leave off the armor plates and just go metallic for all the lower portions.

    I think standard heraldry would look a bit strange after the hex pattern upper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like these ideas...

      Maybe if I go with some sort of heraldric scheme, the fields and devices of the heraldry could be in subdued tones...? Like a horizon blue field with a light grey device...?

      Delete
    2. Oooh, like subdued versions of insignia. Black on uniform color or similar, while back in camp they would have gold bars or whatever.

      Wiki example

      Delete
    3. Exactly - or like modern Brigade/Divisional patches. They're the same that have been used since the world wars, but the ones on combat uniforms -instead of being the traditional reds and yellows and blues (as they still appear on dress uniforms) now match the camouflage colours...

      Delete
  6. You might go for hanging banners off the arms and between the legs for heraldry? Could be less jarring than placing it against the hexes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, I'd been so focused on the carapace and the armour plates, I'd completely forgotten about the banner between the legs... That would be a good place for regular heraldric colours. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Wow, that is impressive work on the hexes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy moly that is an awesome camo pattern

    ReplyDelete