Saturday, December 30, 2023

Warhammer Underworlds: Return to the Nightvault!

Also on Friday evening (after the game of 40K) I introduced Orion to Warhammer Underworlds! Orion took the Thorns of the Briar Queen and I took Ironskull's Boyz. I thought it apropos that we play in Shadespire, as both of those warbands originated with that set. 

I did not take nearly as many notes or pictures as I have during previous games, so no blow-by-blow game report this time... 

Orion won the roll-off for board selection and placement, and I explained the advantages and disadvantages of being first. Orion smartly suggested I should go first. I selected The Cursed Oubliette board - more or less at random, and Orion selected The Mirror Well and set it up next to mine. Objectives were placed and then hazardous terrain markers. I won the roll-off for who started setting up and let Orion do that (because I had only four, no matter who starts, I would finish first!) 

I realized, as I was placing the hazardous hex tokens... that that would probably be the best way to inspire - run through a hazardous hex and take ONE DAMAGE - and then inspire (because that's how Ironskull's Boyz inspire - by taking wounds!) 

Cards were drawn and mostly read and we rolled off for who went first... I totally don't remember who did... 

I think I won the roll off and let Orion go first, thinking they'd use Varclave to move all the Chainrasps forward... and they did... twice... So Ironkull had LOTs of things to SMASH without even having to move or charge! 

So much smashy-smashy... 

At the end of Round One I scored a point for an objective called  Didn't Even Want It - One Glory if an ENEMY is holding Objective #1! and another for my leader taking someone out. 

Thee Second Round I spent WAY TOO MUCH effort chasing the Briar Queen around with Ironskull - because I was still holding an objective from the previous round requiring that I take out the enemy leader, for ONE Glory... (and I could combine that with a couple of the plot cards I had allowed a friendly fighter to charge after my leader takes out an enemy... Instead of READING the Objective Cards I'd just picked up... One which gave TWO Glory if all surviving fighters were adjacent to enemy at the end of the round... AND another one for TWO Glory if all surviving fighters had made an attack action... The latter two would have ben VERY easy to do.. if I'd only bothered to read them!? So instead of scoring four Glory, I scored NONE after failing to take out the Briar Queen ... 

Teh Briar Queen WAS eventually taken out... as was Ironskull... I managed to pull off the everyone attack something gaining those two in the final round... and took out another Chainrasp or two... In the end I had eight Glory... and Orion had ELEVEN!!! BECAUSE SOMEONE WAS READING THEIR OBJECTIVE CARDS AND DOING THOSE THINGS?!

Why am is such a moron... 

Orion had fun, though, so hopefully I'll have a new regular opponent! (And likely Orion's partner Nic will be interested too! Yay!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment