Friday, September 10, 2010

Canadian Sherman Firefly


Here is the first of the Shermans I’ve picked up to support my WW2 Canadians. Started with the big guns - the Sherman Firefly:

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


The model is from West Wind Productions. It was a lovely little model – easy to assemble with a minimum of gunk and flash to clean up. There wasn’t as much nasty mold release compound on this one either – one wash and all the primer totally stuck to it – no beading areas.

(had to take the pics indoors today... it's been POURING rain the last two days... it's unnatural... it's like I'm in a dream.... a dream where I had way too much free champagne before I fell asleep!?)


I also have to say West Wind has been a treat to deal with. The three Shermans 75mm tanks were shipped with two left-hand tracks. I contacted them and they sent replacements right away – so I ended up with a bunch of extra track which I cut up and stuck a bunch of to the front of this model.

I love that all the West Wind models (at least the ones I’ve picked up so far) come with turret crew!


Whoops! a bit of not-quite-dry glue in this pic...

I feel like I should have loaded it up with tons more stowage and camouflage and stuff… but I was feeling lazy and anxious to get one done to see what it looked like.


The tank markings are that of B Squadron, 1st Canadian Hussars (6th Armoured Regiment). The Hussars were part of the 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade (Independent), which supported the Third Canadian Infantry Division in Normandy. B Squadron of the Hussars were in direct support of the Regina Rifles on D-Day.

I have three more West Wind Shermans to do now (the 75mm variety), plus two Panzer IV (later war ones with Shurzen), two Panthers and a Tiger. I also have four motorcycle combos from them to assemble and paint up and I did order five (yeah, FIVE!) T-34/76 from them which should be here shortly... (they were ordered during the second sale at the end of August and are back ordered a bit as they needed to get more resin bodies - same thing happened when I ordered the big cats during the first sale and they were delivered in a timely manner... it's not like I have a shortage of other stuff to do!?)

Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

More Canadian stuff….? Maybe some Germans….?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tim,

    This is one neat model, well done.

    The Sherman would be up there as one of my favs in the tank department.

    Cheers,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd really recommend getting yourself a Ultrasonic cleaner. It's a real time saver for cleaning miniatures, and does a better job than you can do. Plus you can clean the wife's jewelery.

    Based on what you're obviously spending on minis, it would be well worth it as an investment.

    ReplyDelete