Wednesday, August 30, 2017

A Few More RPGaDay Questions


Question #28

WHAT FILM/SERIES IS THE BIGGEST SOURCE OF QUOTES IN YOUR GROUP?

I'd say it depends a bit on what group and what game we’re playing… Monty Python has always been a big one over the years (in particular the Holy Grail and maybe Life of Brian). I’d guess that was the single most-quoted source… perhaps ALIENS being the second…

Once a group has been together long enough and they have some good role-players, though, there tends to be a shift from movie quotes to in jokes and self-referential quotes. In my current alternating-fridays group we often joke about "excessive role-playing" because our GM Bruce told us one night that we'd be finishing up the campaign he'd been running for the previous year and a half. It took us three more months to finish it off. He later claimed it was due to our "excessive role-playing" and now we joke about that any time he says anything to do with how long something will take us or if someone really gets into the role-playing of a certain situation - someone will say "knock it off with all the 'excessive role-playing'".

In our current D&D campaign one of the Rogues traffics a product he calls "Sorcerers Squash" - a hallucinogenic that grows in the nearby jungles. He often misses sessions in the spring and fall due to farming (like the player actually farms and can't make it to games) so we started saying his character was hitting the squash or the "product". Now anytime someone misses a game - their character's been "on the squash"... I'm sure when we wrap up the campaign it will continue to be the excuse for missing characters!


Question #29

WHAT HAS BEEN THE BEST-RUN KICKSTARTER YOU HAVE BACKED?

I can’t say I’ve ever backed a role-playing game through kickstarter. I’ve backed board games and miniatures and graphic novels. Of those I think the ones that were the best so far have been the Lead Adventure ones (Dwarven Gold Fever and Astropolis II), and Ramshackle Games Jet Bike Construction Kits - which I guess could be used with RPGs - the Astropolis miniatures are going to be perfect for Rogue Trader!


Question #30

WHAT IS AN RPG GENRE-MASH-UP YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO SEE?

I need to see LESS mash-ups. Sometimes I feel like everything “new” is just a mash-up of tired old settings – it’s like developers just say let’s take [this] and add [zombies and/or battlemechs and/or magic and/or aliens or alien technology] and that will be AWESOME!!!! (It's not really awesome).


Question #31 (a day early, but whatever...)

WHAT DO YOU ANTICIPATE MOST FOR GAMING IN 2018?

Gaming…? just gaming… and getting back to more role-playing. It's been too damned long since I've really run any role-playing games. I’d really like to do more role-playing with my kids – while they’re still actually interested in playing games with ME!? This week I actually have arranged to play a game of Only War with the kids and one of their friends tomorrow and I'm going to be trying out Tales from the Loop with some other friends on Friday evening (both of which I hope might turn into a campaign that I'll continue to run through the fall and winter). I'd also like to try out Rogue Trader and have another game I'd like to run with some home-brew rules (largely based on Song of Blades and Heroes)!

I'd also like to get playing some actual MINIATURE GAMES over the next year! I feel like I've hardly played any over the last year and a half since the Quest for the Skull Sword campaign last February. Sure, I've got in a game or two of The Pikeman's Lament... but it's not like previously where I was playing as many miniature games in a month as I've played all year! And there are a LOT of games I'd like to play - I'd like to get back to playing Song of Blades and Heroes or Song of Shadows and Dust - or any of the other Ganesha Games, I'd like to try out the new edition of Warhammer 40K and Dracula's America (which I just picked up!), and definitely get in some MORE game of The Pikeman's Lament (and Dragon Rampant and Lion Rampant and try out Men Who Would Be Kings).


In Other News... 

Tomorrow I'll hopefully get to posting my monthly Boardgame Round-up of all the games we played through the month of August. Hopefully, in the not-too-distant future I'll get to posting some new minis I've painted. Production has slowed in the mini painting department as we're finally getting moving on our kitchen/dining room renovation.


Yesterday I started wrecking the dining room. That wall is coming out (no, it's not load-bearing!) and a peninsula of cabinetry is going in there - to open up the area a bit. Plumber and Electrician are coming today to start 


Immortal Tim - Destructor of Kitchens. 




4 comments:

  1. A lot of hard work ahead of you. In your best Darth Vader voice, I imagine you saying, "No I am your father..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know it. But thankfully we have an auxiliary kitchen in the basement (our house was at one point split up into THREE separate suites - unit the neighbours phoned the fire department on the previous owners and had them shut down...). I'm just doing the desctruco work and a bit of basic carpentry... and I may get roped into doing some new flooring in the kitchen. but we're hiring others to build and install the cabinetry, etc...

      Delete
  2. Sounds like our WWI dogfight game that has lasted longer than WWI :-). We often quote one another, usually when it was something absolutely daft, so much the better for rubbing the originator's nose in their unfortunate utterance once more. I like "on the squash", our version is "he's holding the horses" which doesn't sound nearly as cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes feel like I've played more WW2 engagements than there actually were in WW2...

      The beautiful thing is context is everything. These are precious things that only those that understand that context will get. If I were to join any other gaming group and excuse someones absence with "Oh she's on the squash" I'd get nothing but blank stares of bewilderment (or possibly concern!). Even if the context were explained, it still wouldn't be as funny. This is the stuff that great friendships are made of.

      Delete