Thursday, June 18, 2020

T'au Commander

Well every force needs a commander and so, to give Finnegan's T'au force a bit of a jumpstart, I thought I'd kick it off with a commander. I'm not sure what else they have for HQ units...? Etherials...? I don't know about 40K, but they were absolutely USELESS in Shadow War: Armageddon, so I wasn't super stoked to do one of them to start... thought I'd give hims something that might blow holes in tanks... or mow down infantry... or... SOMETHING...



T'au Commander in XV-86 Coldstar Battlesuit



Another angle.



the T'au force... so far...

This is a patrol detachment (in 8th edition!)

HQ (1-2)
Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit - 8PL

Troops (1-3) 
Kroot Carnivores (16) - 5PL
Fire Warrior Strike Team (4) - 2PL

Elites (0-2)
Krootox Riders (1)  - 2 PL

Fast Attack (0-2)
Kroot Hounds - 1Pl

Total Power Level: 18

Technically that power level for the Kroot Carnivores is for 20 (you get 10 for 3, and 20 for 5) but the boxes come with 16...? Likewise, the Fire Warriors are supposed to be in groups of five....

I guess I should finish up one more Fire Warrior to finish off that squad (and then another 5 to make a squad of 10 for - or two of 5 - 2 more Power Level)!

He has a few smaller battle suit warriors to do as well (Crisis Suits?) I think they are Elites (12 Power Level). Maybe some Stealth Suits...? which are also Elites (another 6 Power Level).

With what he had, it could eventually be fielded as a Vanguard detachment or, possibly, a Battalion Detachment (if the Fire Warriors were fielded as two small squads of five) of about 40 Power Level (once a few drones are added it!)


Coming Soon to Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog:

Still working on a report for the Lair of the Beast - the exciting conclusion of The Dreaded Ambull Quest... and some Necromunda stuff... and... some... y'know... OTHER stuff...!?

5 comments:

  1. That commander looks awfully Battletech from way back (3025 vintage before they started doing the Clan nonsense). I think I had a Wasp model that looked very much like it. Mine wasn't painted anywhere as nicely though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right!? It's probably that sense of nostalgia that's feeling this drive to get some of his stuff done. I just wish he'd picked up some of the BIGGER battlesuits before he lost interest - then we'd be having some mech versus gothic-mech-ish-knight battles!!

      I had a Spider mech that I painted like Spiderman... I loved light mechs. just take swarms of them and run circles around everyone else... of course, when they HIT you...

      Delete
    2. My favourite Mech paint job I did was a grey-silver background with tiny pepto-bismol pink polkadots. It defied all the detail and modeling in the figure to flatten out the mech. Essentially, it had the same effect as the dazzle pattern camouflage. I liked it because it was so different and unexpected compared to the traditional way of showing each panel and detail.

      Delete
  2. I was in a battle brothers tourney last year and one of the three partners, Cort Barker, ran like 30-40 fire warriors in groups of five. They are basically an overwatch bubble for anything that wants to try to charge units that give every unit within 6" an overwatch. Definitely made opponents a bit worried to charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's totally about to change with 9th - overwatch is now a stratagem - so you get to use is ONCE per turn. I wonder if that'll mean we'll be seeing some BIGGER units of fire warriors?

      Delete