Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Looking Back at 2018

Let's have a brief look back at 2018. It's a thing I seem to do every year...

Looking at the Game Plan 2018, I feel like I accomplished some of my goals... some of those goals shifted a bit... and I did a lot of other stuff I hadn't planned on doing at the beginning of the year.

Board Games - 25x5

Well...



We played some of those... others.... not-so-much...

Part of the problem was it was sort of a personal challenge, and sort of a family challenge... I mostly counted games I played - so those two COIN games - those were games I played with other people, no one else in the family played with us. Also I wasn't keeping track of games the kids played on their own or with others. We played one game of Sentinels of the Multiverse together, but Finnegan played scores of games on his own.

Despite not succeeding in playing all the games in our challenge, we did still play a LOT of games! According to Board Game Geek we played:

Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team x29
Shadow War: Armageddon x24
Century: Golem Edition x21
Warhammer 40,000 (Eighth Edition) x21
Retro Loonacy x19
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle x16
Splendor x13
Carcassonne x10
Century: Spice Road x7
Kingdomino x7
Railways of the World x6
SET x6
Space Hulk (fourth edition) x6
Codenames: Harry Potter x5
Dominion x5
Five Tribes x5
London (first edition) x5
Viticulture Essential Edition x5
7 Wonders x4
Flamme Rouge x4
Just Desserts x4
Numenera x4
Rogue Trader x4
Wrath & Glory x3
Hero Realms x3
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game x3
Lords of Waterdeep x3
The Pikeman's Lament x3
Arkham Horror x2
Bananagrams x2
The Castles of Burgundy x2
Castles of Mad King Ludwig x2
Codenames: Pictures x2
Cytosis: A Cell Biology Board Game x2
Exploding Kittens x2
For Sale x2
Kingdom Builder x2
Marrying Mr. Darcy x2
Race for the Galaxy x2
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire x2
Terraforming Mars x2
Unstable Unicorns x2
Agricola x1
Angola x1
Azul x1
Bohnanza x1
Century: Eastern Wonders x1
Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62 x1
Condottiere x1
Cthulhu Flux x1
Cthulhu Realms x1
Deluxe Weed! x1
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game x1
Fearsome Floors x1
Firefly: The Game x1
Flash Point: Fire Rescue x1
Fresco x1
The Hanging Gardens x1
Love Letter x1
Monarch x1
Mysterium x1
Nations x1
Nations: The Dice Game x1
Nature Flux x1
Nautilus x1
O Zoo le Mio x1
Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain x1
Portal: The Uncooperative Cake Acquisition Game x1
Samarkand: Routes to Riches x1
Samurai Sword x1
Sentinels of the Multiverse x1
Spoons x1
Stone Age x1
A Study in Emerald (second edition) x1
Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King x1
Tales from the Loop x1
Virulence: An Infectious Card Game x1

That's a lot of games. (Okay, I didn't personally play 29 games of Kill Team or 24 games of Shadow War: Armageddon or 21 games of 40K - those also included games played by family and friends that were arranged and orchestrated and game mastered by me...).

So I guess we can say: Games were played. We had fun.

I am going to have a challenge of sorts for next year, but it will be a bit different.


Miniature Games

We played a LOT of 40k (and Shadow War: Armageddon and Kill Team and Space Hulk)... not a lot else. I did get in three games of The Pikeman's Lament, I guess. No Dragon Rampant, no Song of Blades and Heroes...


Role-Playing Games

I finished off the Tales from the Loop campaign I'd started at the end of 2017. I tried to get a game of Rogue Trader going... but it fizzled and died. I gave Numenera a try, but just couldn't get into it and quit. I was super stoked about Wrath & Glory - picked up the quick-start rules and introductory adventure on Free RPG Day and ran that, but despite the core rule book being available at GenCon in August, they still haven't made it into stores...

Next year is looking a bit more promising - my friend Bruce is planning to run a Call of Cthulhu game and I will definitely be running some Wrath & Glory!


Saturday Games

Didn't really happen... at the beginning of the year I was suffering from chronic migraines and just was not in any state to be reading and learning new board games and it took all my energy just to get stuff ready for the Shadow War: Armageddon Campaign weekend.... and we just kind of fell out of the habit... Hoping to bring that back in the new year!


ToonCon

Oh, I went to ToonCon! and I ran a game of Kill Team there!


Painting

Either I wasn't updating my numbers or it was a slow year... only painted 235 28mm foot (I know, I know, it's more than a lot of you paint... but it's slow for me). I did get done about half of the stuff I planned to do at the beginning of the year. And I managed to get a lot of other stuff I DIDN'T plan to do at the beginning of the year.

Stuff I did get done:
John’s Shadespire Miniatures - Core Box, Sepulchral Guard, and Ironskull's Boyz
Tallarn Veteran Infantry Squad
Tallarn Infantry Squad x3
Tallarn Special Weapon Squads x2
Tallarn Roughrider Squad
Tau Kill Team
Tallarn Leman Russ Punisher Tank
Tallarn Leman Russ Vanquisher Tank
Tallarn Leman Russ Demolisher Tank
Tallarn other Leman Russ Battle Tanks
Tallarn Leman Russ Battle Tank
Tallarn Commander x2
Tallarn Command Squad x2
Tallarn Heavy Weapon squad
SHADOWSWORD!
Chaos Kill Team (3 Chaos Space Marines and 10 Cultists)
Space Hulk Terminators
Space Hulk Genestealers
Imperial Arvus Lighter
WARHOUND TITAN! X2!!!
ECW Highland Clansmen
ECWHighland Commanded Shot (6)

Stuff I planned to get done, but didn't... 
Tallarn Roughrider Squad x2
Tallarn Heavy Weapon squad x10
Tallarn Special Weapon Squad
Tallarn Scout Sentinel x2
Primaris Psyker x2
Tallarn Platoon Commander + Command Squad x2
Tallarn Infantry Squad x9
Tallarn Basilisk
ECW Dragoons x2
ECW Irish Pike
ECW Irish Shot
Highland Clansmen x2
ECW English Pike x3
ECW English Shot x2
ECW Mortar and Crew x2
ECW Horse

Other Things I ended up doing as well...
40K/Rogue Trader Characters: 7
40K - Eldar: 12
40K - Sisters of Battle: 14
40K - Adeptus Arbites: 12
40K - Drukhari: 11
40K - Genestealers: 8
40K - Astra Militarum Cadians: 19
40K - Astra Militarum Valhallans: 7
40K - Space Marines: 1
40K - Mechanicus: 17
40K - Rogue Trader: Gellerpox Infected: 8
Seven Years War - British: 14

Modern Micro - British: 17 Vehicles, 36 foot

Terrain
40K - Sector Mechanicus - lots
40K - Sector Munitorum - lots
40K - Deathward Forest - all of it
40K - Wall of Martyrs - lots

Disposals
I got rid of most of my 15mm WW2 stuff. More of it will be heading out the door this week.


Not bad... I totally failed to paint more than I bought. I blame Paul. Over half of the stuff I bought this year was stuff he was getting rid of... This coming year, I will be buying less and trying to finish off all the stuff I planned to paint last year... plus all the stuff I bought this year and didn't paint... AND maybe make a bit of a dent in the lead mountain...

Anyway... I did stuff... It was (mostly) fun... Looking forward to 2019.


Coming Soon to Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog:

Game Plan 2019

MORE Grey Knights

Blackstone Fortress Figures!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots of games! I thought your migraine headaches also impacted on your painting? So maybe not such a bad year? Lots of nice stuff anyway!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The migraines did impact the production levels some - I don't think I did nearly so much painting in the first half of the year while that was all still being sorted out - compared to previous years. I didn't stop painting altogether, however. Looking through January, February, and March, I did paint a lot of Tallarn for the Battleforce Recon tournament, and a few things for the Shadow War: Armageddon weekend before that. That doesn't completely explain the drop in production. I think I did a lot more work on terrain this year - the cavern terrain in January/February, then all the Kill Team Terrain in the second half of the year. Also, I think I just spent more time on each individual figure - painting all those annoying little details GW like to put on their minis...

      Delete