So I have been completely distracted by Five Parsecs From Home: Planetfall and been thinking about starting a solo campaign I might play from time to time... (or maybe it will become a COMPLETE OBSESSION that overtakes my life and I will play it to conclusion in a few weeks and do NOTHING ELSE!? Really, it could go either way...)
So far I have come up with a name for the Colony - KX-339 - and found models for and named the two Scouts in the group; Riann and Barbara.
Riann and Barbara - the two were both from a line of sci-fi miniatures that West Wind Productions produced at one point... I can't for the life of me remember what the name of the line was...?
Cobalt-1..? Maybe...?
And some other company carried them for a bit after that...?
(I did some digging. It was Cobalt-1 and according to Lost Minis Wiki, Cobalt-1 was a sci-fi miniatures game by Bob Naismith originally published by West Wind Productions. It was later acquired by Black Hat Miniatures, which is now out of business...)
I like these as scouts as they have backpacks that could be the jump-packs that all scouts have (maybe anti-gravity, rather than rockets!)... but also They have helmets that look like they could seal and the backpack could also either be an oxygen supply and/or filters, which would be handy for scouting out new planets that could have alien bacteria or viruses or spores or whatever that could do all sorts of nasty things to a Human's respiratory system!!
Barbara
Barbara is the Senior Scout with the Interstellar Scout Service. Despite being decades older than Riann, Barbara cuts a spritely figure and is always keen for a bit of adventure! She lives for the excitement, amazing sights, and thrills of new discoveries. For many years she was an independent explorer working contracts for various parties; Mega-Corps or sometimes Unity/ISS, but a serious injury on a remote distant world brought that life to an abrupt end and she was forced to take things a little "slower". Working as a Scout for new colonies gives her that little taste of seeing something new that no other human has... but a safe warm bed to return to at night in a facility with (relatively) fresh food, a full auto doc suite, actual med techs to run it, and a full team to back her up if things go sideways.
Riann
Riann is (somewhat) freshly painted. I'd MOSTLY painted her years ago. I rebased her to match Barbara's base (sort of) and finished up a few details I hadn't previously!
Riann is an Interstellar Scout Service Survey Technician. She bristles at Barbara calling her "kid" when she is fully into her 30s and has been Surveying new worlds for over a decade. She does not talk much about her past, before becoming a scout. There is a hint of an accent in her speech, for those that would know, that suggest an origin in a very distant sector, maybe even the core worlds. While utterly competent and professional at her job, she does not share Barbara's love for discovery and her passions, if ever she had any, clearly lie elsewhere or have been buried deep within her.
Other Considerations...
I start with eight character crew/staff which can be a mix of Scouts, Scientists, and Troopers - along with twelve "Grunts".
The Troopers are experienced/trained soldiers that can gain experience and improve attributes and/or gain new skills , whereas the Grunts are chaff - meat shield cannon-fodder..
I was thinking of using the standard/suggested mix of two Scouts, two Scientists, and Four Troopers. One of the Troopers would be a Lieutenant or Captain, the other three Sergeants - each of which would lead one of the fireteams of Grunts.
The fellow in the middle seems like an obvious choice for one of the Scientists... buuuuuuuut... He's kind of on a different base than the rest...? And I'm not sure I want to rebase hime...
The other two... I feel like I'd like to use one, or both...? I'm not sure in what capacity? A third Scout? Scientists?! The one with the blue jacket at least has a kind of backpack that could be an anti-gravity jump-pack of sorts...?
I do have PILES of other assorted sci-fi minis I could use potentially for scientists or civilians. Some painted, others... not-so-much... Some look a little more "grim-dark" than I feel like these need to be, though...
I should probably go with ones already painted - If I'm wanting to jump in on this right away!
I have a load of old Imperial Guard I could use as "Grunts", maybe...? The one problem is they are generally fielded in fireteams for four supported by a light machine-gun, and there are no light machine-guns amongst the Guard. There are other support weapons. I guess I could just use the light machine-gun stats as "generic support weapon"...?
But then, I also have these - old mix of generic future troopers, mostly sculpted by Mark Coppelstone. Some are from Copplestone Castings, others are much older ones from... Grenadier UK...? (Some of which might still be available through EM4 Miniatures...?)
I like these minis... It would mean actually getting around to PAINTING them! (and probably rebasing them!) and I'd have to decide HOW to paint them. Do I just do them in a desert camouflaging and base like the one dude that is painted...? I am super tempted to base them like the scouts with a weird alien terrain... and then do the uniforms in some kind of colourful alien world camouflage. I'm not sure if I'd want to do the camouflage to actually match the base...? OR do it in some kind of CONTRASTING camouflage?!
I only have ONE light machine-gun for these... but they do MAKE troops with light machine-guns... so maybe I could put in a LITTLE order to Copplestone/North Star...? How soon am I going to NEED to field more than ONE full fireteam!?
Some of these I could also use as the Troopers.
Painting for Beast Feast is not going well...








No comments:
Post a Comment