Monday, November 3, 2008

Timashek Legion

I had started digging out all my old Battletech and Adeptus Titanicus/Space Marine “epic” stuff (even picking up a few extras off ebay…) to form some units to play Future War Commander! I spent a lot of time (before even getting the book) planning and trying to figure out how I would organize my legions. I even started painting them. Then I remembered; I HATE micro-scale stuff!? To tell you the truth, I’m not particularly fond of anything smaller than 20mm?!

Then it occurred to me that, this being sci-fi, there aren’t any particular rules about what anything MUST look like! In a modern game a BMP really ought to look something like a BMP… Sure there are a number of ready-made back grounds there are certain defined looks, but I don't have to use any of those. This is Science FICTION; I can make up any damn thing I want! I can make up new armies equipment and design whole new galaxies for them to fight it!

So then I thought I can make my own 20mm modern figures for Cold War Commander… why couldn’t I make 20mm sci-fi stuff for Future War Commander!?

So here are the first stands of Timashek Legion Infantry:

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


I didn't make these ones... These figures are old Firefight 20 East Germans (Hmmmmmm… Does this mean I’m going to have to get some MORE East Germans from Mongrel Miniatures to do Timashek Legionaires in 28mm for skirmishing…?!) I got a LOAD of them in a trade. I got a LOT of them. Oh I've still got an entire regiment of them based and ready for painting as gen-u-ine historical East Germans.... these, and the figures for the rest of the legions two companies were surplus to my needs.

At some point I'm going to start modeling and casting again and I'll make myself some 20mm troops in power armour and some more lightly armed futureistic-looking troops. But for now these will get me rolling!

Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

History of the Timashek Legion and pictures of their Tanks and IFVs!

4 comments:

  1. Good idea about using the modern stuff!
    I've been reading your CWC battle reports with interest. Keep up the good blogging! Your use of 20mm with the CWC system is interesting- although I'm a micro armor guy.

    For my own FWC efforts I'm starting with some old Ral Partha 15mm SF figures they made long ago, for use with the skirmish rules. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark!

    There are some cool looking 15mm Travelleresque/Striker sci-fi figures currently being sold by RAFM... These may very well be the same ones, though, but reproduced under license.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Mark's brother I can testify to how excited we are to try out FWC. I have tons of Battletech stuff that we'll be trying out with the rules, but of course, you could say that they are just big robots or some sort of exo-skeleton and use them with the 20mm. I'm certainly thinking about using Heavy Gear mechs for that purpose.

    By the way, loved the Norwegian battles... spent a couple of years there and thought it was probably an accurate view of how their battles might go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dave!

    Yeah, me and my other friend Tim both have some Battletech stuff that I'm sure we'll be using with either scale, too!

    Hopefully we'll get enough together that we might be able to try out a game in the next week or so...

    Stay tuned for FWC battle reports!

    ReplyDelete