Saturday, April 1, 2023

Game Plan 2023 - Q2

Looking back at Game Plan 2023 - Q1. Which... wasn't much of a plan... I did some of those things I guessed I might do... others... not-sop-much....


Quarterly Challenge

I wasn't sure if I was going to bother with challenges anymore... but had guessed that, if I did, it might be:

2023 Q1 5x5 Challenge

  1. Splendor 
  2. Pikeman's Lament
  3. FATE
  4. One-Hour Wargames
  5. ...?

What I DID actually play was...

  • One-Hour Wargames x15
  • Codenames x11
  • Splendor x4
  • Wingspan Asia x3
  • Codenames: Pictures x2
  • Century: Golem Edition x1
  • Hellboy: The Roleplaying Game x1
  • Kingdom Builder x1
  • Terraforming Mars 1
  • Wingspan x1

So... not even close to playing five different games five times... but I did play FORTY games, so... that's something. Over a third of them were solo games... and nearly another third of them were games of Codenames that were played in one evening... so... 

(I don't mean to knock solo gaming, it's been really fun playing those games... It's just, when you don't have a regular sort of day job that takes you out of the house, and the only regular, in-person social interactions - other than visits to doctors or grocery stores - is playing games... NOT playing a LOT of games is generally a sign, for me, that things haven't been going well...)   

Of course, for most of the last few months, I've been running the campaign... which is playing a game... but just not sit down at a specific time and play it (other than the actual tabletop battles). 


Birthday Bash/Winter Wargaming Weekend

Didn't happen. I didn't even play a game with the family on my birthday. Which was kind of a bummer. I did get a Ukulele... so there's that... (I haven't touched it since my birhtday, though... so there's that...) 


ToonCon

It is happening. It's in April. I'm not going. 


Online Campaign

I DID actually get an online campaign going! It is still raging on, at this point! It's been fun. There have been a few surprises. I made a few mistakes. I know I would do some things differently if I do another one. What all those things are, precisely, I will save for when the campaign has wrapped up. 


Miniatures

I was all over the place in December/January. There were TOO MANY THINGS that I WANTED to do IMMEDIATELY... but couldn't do them all... and couldn't choose.. and mostly settled on the idea of painting stuff for campaigns. In the end I settled on a campaign that I didn't NEED to paint a lot for. I did SOME painting at the beginning and a lot of rebasing for that - and still have a LOT that I want to rebase for the Back of Beyond collection - but mostly moved on to thinking about preparing for future campaigns.

I did do a LOT of re-basing and organizing of Fantasy armies (as that might be the next campaign I do run - once the back of Beyond campaign has wrapped up and the dust has all settled). The English Civil War one has been moved to the back burner, for the time being. Fantasy stuff was easier to complete forces for. 

There was also a new Astra Militarum Codex out and that got me all fired up about getting my assorted Guard regiments all BATTLE READY!! Most of the actual PAINTING I've done during the first quarter has been for said Astra Militarum forces. I also completely rebased ALL of the Guard armies (a few hundred miniatures, in all!). 

Of course this was all done just in time for GW to announce a NEW EDITION with fundamental changes to stats and play and all the existing codexes will be "retired"... Thanks GW... (I'm not really THAT upset about it... I haven't really played for a few years and I mostly just paint them up for fun and organize them so they're theoretically ready for action). 

Rebasing miniatures (Fantasy, 40K, some of the Back of Beyond and ECW) ended up consuming, like, 90% of my hobby time (partly why so few newly painted miniatures have been posted - or games have been played).

What I painted:

48 Foot, 4 mounted

the only miniatures I bought were the two teams (and terrain) that came in the Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team: Soulshackle box.

GAME PLAN 2023-Q2

What to do through the spring....?  

Well... 

Things are kind of up in the air at the moment. It looks like the basement renovation might genuinely be moving forward again and that will disrupt a lot of things and probably require a lot of things be squirrelled away for some time... unfortunately PART of the work might be done sooner rather than later... but then the rest of the work putting it all back together might not be until August/September... and in the meantime...? I may have limited access to the game room and we'll have all sorts of other stuff from the basement continuing to take up every nook and cranny upstairs, potentially for months, making it hard to even move around, let along sit down to play games or work on other hobby stuff. 

It feels like the Back of Beyond Campaign might be winding down. I had hoped to get another campaign going soon after, but that might have to wait until autumn... That might not be a bad thing. It could give me time to sort out what I want to do and get armies ready. 


GAMES

Ideally I'd like to play some games. It might be smaller quicker games that are easy to play on the kitchen table... 

At first I was thinking it might not be miniatures.. but then... maybe this might be the chance to get Kill Team going again or Warhammer Quest Blackstone Fortress or Warhammer Underworlds - something small that COULD be played on the kitchen table and could mostly be sorted in a few boxes upstairs. 


MINIATURES

I do still have a little painting station upstairs and some space to store things I'm working on nearby. Honestly there's enough up there to keep me busy for half the year... as long as it continues to interest me! 

If I could hazard a guess what it might be I work on over the spring (and summer...?) Maybe more 40K stuff to finish up formations (that may no longer be relevant in a few months) or Kill Team - I have SO MUCH STUFF for that and WOULD love to get playing again at some point!? 


No comments:

Post a Comment