Thursday, February 29, 2024

February Games

 Here is a brief review of the gaming shenanigans I got up to in February 2024... 


Friday, 2 February 2024

A few weeks earlier, a local fellow named Jared had contacted me through THIS BLOG (of all places!?) and suggested me meet up to play Warhammer Underworlds. I noted that all the Friday evenings through February were Boxed Game Skirmish Night - Warhammer Underworlds... and since the weather was pretty good, I suggested we meet up there! 

(I guess other months they focus on OTHER boxed skirmish games...? Kill Team, Necromunda and Warcry...? The fellow working there said there hadn't been much turn out the last few months)

(Also "Night" seems a bit of a misnomer, as it took place between 4pm and 6:30) 

Turns out we were the ONLY ones to show up for Warhammer Underworlds night... (which made it extra embarrassing that I showed up so late!). We started with a two-player game. I played Thricefold Discord and Jared played Ephilim's Pandaemonium.

A bit later Orion stopped by after work, just as we were finishing up and a three-player game was suggested!

There is a brief report and a few more pictures here:

Warhammer Underworlds - at The Warhammer Store

Originally Orion and I had planned to play a game of 40K afterwards back at my place, but by the time we were done we decided to just do it the next day... 


Saturday, 3 February 2024

So, on Saturday we played some 40K. This was my first 2000 point game of 40K10E... Probably my first game of more than 1000 points (that wasn't a game of Apocalypse!)? I rolled out with the Big Gunz I'm brining to the tournament, plaus five Leman Russ tanks and a pair of Tech Priests. 

There are more pictures and a game report here:

Warhammer 40K - More Training Exercises


Sunday, 4 February 2024

For a second Sunday in a row Orion and Nic came over to play a couple of four-player games of Warhammer Underworlds! 

In the first game I tried out my new Grinkrack's Looncourt warband. Amanda tried to switch things up and played Lady Harrow's Mournflight. Nic tried playing with my Grymwatch Warband and Orion rolled out with some snazzy looking Chosen Axes (not the ones I painted for a friend that I've linked to, some other ones she got in a trade recently - fully painted!) 

I ALMOST eeked out a victory the first time playing with the Looncourt! I ended up tied with Orion's Chosen Axes, for Glory Points, but the last remaining member of the Chosen Axes was sitting on an Objective Marker at the end of the game and none of my goblins were, so the win went to her! 

In the second game I decided to try out Hrothgorn's Mantrappers, which I have only played ONCE, Almost two years ago when they lost to Amanda playing Morgwaeth's Blade-Coven (20-5!) After Hrothgorn was taken out at the beginning of the second round. Amanda continued with Lady Harrow's Mournflight. Nic and Orion decided to change it up and play Thorns of the Briar Queen and Eyes of Nine, respectively.

Nic started out scoring the most in the first round. Amanda caught up and passed him in the second. For the most of the game Orion and I were duking it out for dead last, but then both of us scored a BUNCH of points in the Third round, catapulting Orion into the lead and me... well... NOT last place!? 

There is a game report with more pictures here:

Warhammer Underworlds - Another Four-Player Sunday

Whew! That was a busy first weekend of the month! 


Sunday, 11 February 2024

For a THIRD Sunday in a row, Nic and Orion came by to play some Warhammer Underworlds. 

In the first game, Orion played Hexbane's Hunters (with a Nemsis deck built with Force of Frost?) on the Soul Refractor board from the Nightvault Core Box. Nic played the (mostly) freshly painted Cyreni's Razors on the The Inevitable Morass from the Nethermaze Core Box. Amanda played her usual Morgwaeth's Blade-Coven on The Cursed Oubliette from the Nightvault Core Box. I had another try at Grinkrack's Looncourt on Menhirs of Binding from the Direchasm Core Box. 

Grinkrack's Looncourt did NOT do nearly so well as they did the previous week (tied at 16 and lost due to the tie-breaker)! This week I ended the game with NO miniatues on the table, and a grand total of 5 Glory!? Yikes! (Beginner's luck, I guess!) The others had 

In the second game, Orion played Chosen Axes (with a Nemsis deck built with Fearsome Fortress...?) on The Cursed Oubliette. Amanda let Nic try out Morgwaeth's Blade-Coven on Menhirs of Binding. Amanda went WAY out of her comfort zone and tried out Xandire's Truthseekers - a Stomcast Warband!? - on the Chamber of Genesis. I dug out the Thrircefold Discord again and set them out on The Iceswirl Maw! 

The second game went a little better for me... 

It did not go so well for Amanda! 


Saturday, 17 February 2024

Saturday Orion and I took a bit of a break from Warhammer Underworlds, to go to a Warhammer 40,000 Team Tournament - Strange Bedfellows. There were teams of two, each player brining 1000 points and there were no restrictions on who could team up. While Orion and I tried to be thematic with a pairing of Adeptus Astartes Space Wolves and Astra Militarum Tallarn (both Imperium factions)... others were a bit more "strange"... 

Our first game was against Zach and Tom. Zach was actually the Tournament Organizer and only ended up playing because there was an odd number of teams registered... So him and Tom quickly threw together a force of Necrons and Chaos Space Marines! 

Oof! it was a tough game - my entire force was wiped out by the end of it, but we eeked out a victory - 90-85

Our second opponents played Grey Knights and Chaos Knights!? This one was a bit more of a clobbering... by us... I think I lost two mortar teams... and they were absolutely tabled! We won this one 100-47 (100 is the maximum you can score in a game!)

In our third match-up of the day we fought a combined force of Chaos - Dark Angels and World Eaters - played by Mark and Cory. This game timed out... but we eeked out another victory with 50-42 and ended the game 3-0! 


Sunday, 18 February 2024

Our first game of Day Two was against the only other force that went undefeated the first day.... and we broke their winning streak. Haley and Chris played a team of Aeldari and T'au. The entire Aeldari force consisted of an Avatar of Khaine, the Yncarne, a Farseer, a Death Jester, and a Solitaire! We took down Avatar of Khaine and Yncarne in first round and that was pretty much the game... We won 67-35. 

For our final match of the Tournament, we played Tyler and Rhett - two VERY SKILLED players (like, I think they've competed a international events..?!). They had a mix of World Eaters (including Angron himself!) and a detachement of Imperial Guard (Traitor Guard, I guess). We did not win this one... it was pretty close at 78-66. 

They'd lost one of their games on the first day, so we both ended being 4-1 and they won the tournament having a higher combined Battle Points total! So we came in second, only losing to the pair that won the tournament... So that was pretty cool. 

There if a full report of the weekends activities (and loads more pictures!) here:

Warhammer 40K - Strange Bedfellows Team Tournament


Afterwards Orion and I did get in a quick game of Warhammer Underworlds in the pub downstairs while we waited for Nic - who was meeting Orion after work for supper there. We've played so many four-player games recently, I'd forgotten how quickly just a one-on-one can be played! We ended up tied at seven, but Orion had Cyrenai on an objective at the end and I held none... so she won with the tie-breaker!

There is a brief report and a few more picture of this game here:

Warhammer Underworlds - Wurmspat versus Cyreni's Razors


Monday, 19 February 2024

Family day in Saskatchewan - and the beginning of the mid-winter break for the kids - which also meant a lot of other activities (including all the yoga classes Amanda teaches for the community association - at an elementary school) are cancelled... 

Amanda and I played a quick game of Warhammer Underworlds. She decided to try something totally new and had a go at playing Drepur's Wraithcreepers. I was still taking the Wurmspat Rivals deck through the paces to see what (if anything) works and what might need to be trashed and replaces in a Nemesis deck... 

Despite never having looked at the cards, Amanda totally trashed me, 8-3... 

You can see a few more pics and a brief description of the game here:

Warhammer Underworlds - Wurmspat versus Drepur's Wraithcreepers


Saturday, 24 February 2024

Later in the afternoon on Saturday, Orion came by with Hexbane Hunters and a Void Cursed Thralls Nemesis deck and put us all through the paces! 

In the first game I played Wurmspat, in Rivals format with the Breakneck Slaughter Deck and Amanda played Drepur's Wraithcreepers with their own Rivals Dec. Voidcursed Hexbane's beat us all down pretty good! Ooof! 

In our second game I again played Wurmspat in a Rivals format, but with the Force of Frost deck. Amanda tried out Orion's Cyreni's Razors... and Now I have to paint that next... This was a much closer game... Amanda started off strong and Orion had a few glory... I had nothing in the first round and only one or two in the second.. but somehow I managed to pull off tied for second with Orion, only a point behind Amanda?! It was bonkers!?

Afterwards Amanda and I tried putting togethe some Nemesis decks based on decks we found on Warhammer Underworlds DB. 

Amanda tried a Morgwaeth's Blade-Coven Nemesis deck with the Toxic Terrors, and I tried Wurmspat with Force of Frost... It worked out okay... I scored more points in the three player games just playing Force of Frost on it's own!? I snuck in a win at 11-9... 

After THAT I stayed up WAY TOO LATE and tried to make my OWN Nemesis deck for the Wurmspat using Breakneck Slaughter, hoping to try it out the next evening when Orion returned, with Nic! 


Sunday, 25 February 2023

But before Nic and Orion came over in the evening... Shannon and Kevin came over to play games... 

And somehow Amanda talked them into playing Warhammer Underworlds!? I played Wurmspat again and Amanda tried out a new Nemesis Deck she'd built for Morgwaeth's Blade-Coven. Shannon tried playing Morgok's Krushas and Kevin played with Lady Harrow's Mournflight. 

After they left, we played MORE games of Warhammer underworlds games with Orion and Nic!

For our first game Orion tried out Skaeth's Wild Hunt with a nemesis deck build around Breakneck Slaughter! Amanda and I both played with the warbands we'd used in the previous game: Wurmspat with a Breakneck Slaughter nemesis deck and Morgwaeth's Blade-Coven with a Paths of Prophecy nemesis deck. Nic tried out Morgok's Krushas. 

For our second game with Nic and Orion, everyone decided to change things up! Amanda tried Magore's Fiends, I played The Thricefold Discord, Nic played Drepur's Wraithcreepers, and Orion played the Chosen Axes! 

There is a rather lengthy report with loads of pictures of the entire weekend's events here:

Warhammer Underworlds Birthday Weekend Shenanigans


WOW! that was a lot of miniature game playing (if we can call Warhammer Underworlds a miniature game)... It's almost like this blog is a Miniature Wargaming Blog again!? Through February I played SIX games of Warhammer 40,000 (10th Edition) and FOURTEEN games of Warhammer Underworlds!? 

And I've got a fair bit of painting done... Grinkrak's Looncourt, a pair of Basilisks, two Manticores, and a Sentinel - seven miniatures and five vehicles. Not what I used to paint back in the day... but better than nothing, like I've been doing a lot of months the last few years! 

What have YOU been playing through February!? Get any painting done? Let me know in the comments! 

10 comments:

  1. Always nice to read these summaries, even if only as a reminder that they are not all Warhammer Underworlds games ;)

    With that tournament and your birthday weekend you are certainly packing in the games!

    As for myself, I actually played a Starmada Star Trek:TNG game on Sunday with a buddy, and I am working through a Battletech game with the kid, just a few turns here and there. No painting done, although I did get some Cardassians primed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! I mean, it kind of was ALL WARHAMMER this month!? (which is a little shocking to me!?) There was just a little bit of variety in the Warhammers I played!

      I have very fond memories of playing a LOT of battletech in high school in the late 80s. One of my friends I played with back then is playing again, unfortunately he lives in Ontario... I imagine it's quite different now! Are you playing regular Battletech or Alpha Strike? (I know little about either, just that Alpha Strike is a "lighter" version of the game....? Maybe...?)

      Delete
    2. Regular which I understand to be about 90% the same as it ever has been, just some wordsmithing and a few new technology items.

      Alpha strike is quite a bit lighter, more like a regular table top game, where you have 10-20 figures on the board. Regular old school battletech maxes out at about 4 per player, and that can be a very long game... however, it is the detail in that battle that can be fun.

      Delete
    3. Ah, cool! So not just a streamlined/lighter game, but specifically designed for a completely different level of play/action (like Kill Team versus 40k)?

      Delete
    4. That is my understanding yes, and consequently you can have combined arms much more easily. If you can only run four figures in a regular game, why "waste" any of them on support weapons or flying units? However, if you can have a whole company plus a bit... might as well have some artillery or fighters for a strafing run etc.

      Delete
  2. I am playing a board game called Creature Comforts - light, cute, cozy, and fun. I'm liking it. Just the right weight of game for me these days, and the right amount of cute and cozy, too. :)

    Painted some sci-fi minis, and I am now getting some orc space pirates, which I got through a kickstarter, ready to paint. They are metal and look a lot like others of their ilk by some big name companies. Should be fun to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up Creature Comforts on Board Game Geek, that DOES look really cute and fun! (I WILL NOT buy another game right now.... I WILL NOT buy another game right now.... I WILL NOT buy another game right now.... I WILL NOT buy another game right now.... I WILL NOT buy another game right now....!!!)

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean! I will try not to add temptation. ha ha
      I am trying to resist the follow-up game, Maple Valley, as well as a couple of other games on my "want list". I mean, I still have games on my shelves that I haven't even played yet. :P

      Delete
    3. Is Maple Valley an expansion or a completely separate game in the series?

      Completely separate games are tough. When a company comes up with one that's a winner, I understand after sales of the first fall off, there's that temptation to make a second with the same theme... and maybe similar mechanics.. but making it different enough for people to justify wanting to get it... but also... as fun as the original... that's hard.

      We bought all three of the Century Golem edition games from Plan B games and.. honestly... I could do without the two follow-on games. I LOVE Century Spice Road or Century Golem Edition - they're quick to set up and play and they tickle the right part of my pattern seeking equation solving brain. The others... kind of the same thing... but with MORE mechanics and more things to set up and think about and because of that... we just don't play them nearly as much!?

      I almost prefer complete reskins of a game that I like the mechanics of. I think I'd rather have Cetury Spice Road and Century Golem Edition - which are the exact same game (but one has cube and the other had crystals and the card are is different) than the two other games in the series... but... because of that I've ended up with SO MANY different versions of Munchkin, and Love Letter, and Fluxx... And at some point I ended up wondering WHY TO I HAVE SO MANY VERSIONS OF THE SAME GAME!? Eventually I ended up HATING Muchkin (as did everyone else in the family) so we ended up selling them all..

      Not to talk you out of Maple Valley - I just love the sound of it... largely because I LOVE maple syrup!

      Delete
  3. My understanding is Maple Valley is it's own game, but same world. Kind of a sequel, but I don't know if there is any link between them. I don't plan to buy it any time soon (famous last words), as I am trying to get through my un-played games, and want to weed out stuff that I don't really enjoy or don't see myself playing, before adding a bunch of other games to my shelf of opportunity. On the other hand, Creature Comforts was a recent purchase and I really like it, even though I bought it while other games have sat un-played on my shelves for years. :D

    ReplyDelete