Friday, February 16, 2024

Warhammer 40K - Tallarn Scout Sentinels

Scout Sentinels RULE in 10th edition... finally they are faster than Leman Russ tanks - I thought it was utterly ridiculous that the SCOUT vehicle was SLOWER than the tanks it was supposed to be scouting ahead for... Also, they do cool stuff that reconnaissance troops should do - like SPOT ENEMIES! 

Here it is, the second Scout Sentinel! Just in time for the tournament tomorrow! 

Like the Basilisks and Manticores, this one doesn't have as much stowage or other conversions (headdress) to make it more distinctly Tallarn.. But, also like the Basilisks and Manticores, this was a used model I bought off someone else assembled. I tore off the Multi-Laser and replaced it with a Missile Launcher and did add a bit of gear before repainting it... but I didn't feel like I had the time or energy to pull the pilot out and remove his head and add headgear similar to the other Sentinel pilot. I'm okay with that... At SOME point I may add jerry cans (like I have on the other), but I'm not in a rush to do so. I have a half-dozen more sentinels to either assemble or repaint... I'd rather get those done before doing more work on this one, though...  

The two of them together... 

The older one originally had a Lascannon, which I discovered the first time I used it, is almost entirely useless... so I replaced that with a Missile Launcher as well! 

Part of me feels like maybe I should have canned one of the Mortar-armed Heavy Weapon Squads in favour of taking another of these... alas... it is a little too late now! 

Here is the entire force I am bringing to the Tournament 

  • Captain Alhazred (as Cadian Castellan) (1 model) 45points
  • Heavy Weapons Squad (3 models) 60 pts
  • Heavy Weapons Squad (3 models) 60 pts
  • Heavy Weapons Squad (3 models) 60 pts
  • Scout Sentinels (1 model) 60 pts
  • Scout Sentinels (1 model) 60 pts
  • Basilisk (1 model) 135 pts
  • Basilisk (1 model) 135 pts
  • Manticore (1 model) 180 pts
  • Manticore (1 model) 180 pts

Total Points for Models: 975

(Plus the commander will have the Grand Strategist upgade - allowing him to issue an additional order each command phase - for 15 point, bringing the total to 990) 

I also made these this past week:

Hunter-Killer Missile Tokens

Hunter Killer missiles have been an option for most Astra Militarum vehicles for a number of editions now- one shot ATGMs that cost 5 point, if you wanted them. Now that everything, regardless of options taken, all cost one amount (i.e. gone are the days of a point value for the vehicle, then more points based on which weapon options... now a vehicle is one cost regardless of what options you take!?) so there is no reason NOT to take hunter killer missiles... But the problem is, it's unclear where they should be mounted on most chasis - on a Leman Russ I'd mount them just above the main gun - like older Soviet tanks with ATGMs mounted on them... Because they are a one-shot weapon, however, I decided to mount them on square bases and treat them like counters - to be placed on the vehicle in question and removed once they've been fired off - presumably in the first round!

Like such... Not bad, eh? 

Anyway, tournament starts tomorrow! Say a brief prayer to the God Emperor of Mankind for me and my Space Wolf partners, there are all sorts of filthy xenos and accursed heretics we will likely have to face! 

6 comments:

  1. Good luck!

    And that missile idea is clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beware of deceptively primitive little teddy bears if you go down to the woods. :P

    Nice work on the entire force!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with the tournament. Always a pleasure to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thomas! tournament's been going pretty good so far! I'll post a post tournament report Sunday evening... or maybe Monday!?

      Delete