Thursday, February 1, 2024

Warhammer Underworlds - Grinkrak's Looncourt

 I've always been a little disappointed that I missed out on Zarbag's Gits - one of the Nightvault Era warbands for Warhammer Underworlds. Zarbag's Gits was a warband of seven little goblins and they looked really fun. If I could ever track down a copy (for a not insane price) I probably still would... So when I found out. upon reentering the world of Warhammer Underworlds that they'd made ANOTHER goblin warband during my absence... and the stocks of THOSE ones were starting to run low. I decided I better get one before they're gone and made a trip out to the new Warhammer Store in Saskatoon to pick one up last week. 

These took a lot longer that they should have... Part of the reason was I got it in my head that I wanted to paint them all in different, fabulous colours - instead of the basic black cloaks they are more often painted as. This is a bit of an homage to some of my earliest goblins - for Fantasy Battle and Blood Bowl! The Blood Bowl team, in particular, were all done in wildly different bright colours. 

I did two photo shoots with two different cameras... and neither batch turned out great.. but I'd rather get back to finishing up TALLARN GUNS than do ANOTHER shoot.... so this is what you get!(Hopefully you will be seeing them lots in games soon, so....) 

Grinkrak's Looncourt. 

Grinkrak the Great!

Grib, da Wonky Lance

Skolko and Pronk

Snorbo da Spore

Pointy Burk

Pokin' Snark

Moonface Nagz

I just love their names... 

I haven't read through the cards in their deck much. There seem to be objective cards called "Quests" that can be assigned to individual fighters and if that fighter succeeds in scoring the Objecitve card, they inspire. Of three or more other surviving fighters survive, Grinkrak inspires... I'm not sure what the rest does... but they LOOK fun, so... I got that if they do happen to suck in the game! 

6 comments:

  1. They look great! Colorful gobbos are fun, and these guys have such a great range of options in terms of figures. Hope they play well (or at least amusingly).

    Teams going out of print (sometimes quickly) is a big annoyance with Underworlds. The GW site only has six at the moment, and one of those is "temporarily" not available. A few of them are available as sprues with the AOS armies, but not all of them, and not in some easy to find way. (and obviously without their decks)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yeah... it can be irritating... but I completely understand why they do what they do...

      It's nice they've finally made new Goblin and Tzeentch Warbands with in the last year - and a skaven one the year before. Those were the three I was really sad about never being able to pick up from Shadespire/Nightvault era. Curious that they HAVEN'T made and Dwarf (Duardin/Fyreslayers/Kharadron) since the very first year!? Almost every other faction has had newer versions made with later seasons/editions. Some get new ones EVERY season - like the Stormcast - There is a new Stormcast warband EVERY year with each new setting. Sometimes TWO! I have so many Warhammer Underworlds Stormcast Warbands that I can field a 600-1000 point Age of Sigmar starter army for a Paths to Glory campaign!?

      Also irritating is how quickly boards and generic decks rotate out of official play (for tournaments). But again, I kind of understand why. They don't want to make it impossible for new players to join in and feel like they are at a disadvantage for not having the stuff from two years ago... and it makes those wanting to play competitively keep buying new stuff. (No different than any of the Collectible Card Games!)

      Delete
  2. Lovely colourful bunch of goblins!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete