Sunday, June 17, 2007

Still More Distractions – The Falklands

It being the 25th anniversary of the Falkland Islands conflict I decided to finish off a couple of figures I’d had kicking around half painted for a couple years…. Because otherwise I'd actually have to do work on my planned projects or something...

These are 20mm figures I think currently manufactured by Combat Miniatures , though I’m not sure they always were…

I got them as part of a package deal from the The Sentry Box when they were blowing out everything from the manufacturer. I picked them all up thinking some would be great for AK-47 Republic armies – and most of them will be (if I ever paint them…) as they were mostly Russians from the Soviets in Afghanistan line and some from the Peace for the Galilee line. these boys, wearing heavy parkas and mitts would be a bit harder to pass off as ragged Africans…

I was also a little motivated because I started playing Blitzkrieg Commander and I’m rather keen on the system at the moment. So keen I asked Darren at the The Dragon’s Den to order me in a copy of Cold War Commander…

I’ve always had this idea that the Falklands conflict would be an interesting one to run as a campaign. It is small and potentially manageable enough that you could be the C-in-C of the entire task force and do some combined air, land and sea action...

Now here’s the stupid thing. I have these 20mm Combat Miniatures Falklands figures and this is about it. I have a couple more command teams that I haven't painted, but otherwise what you see below is all I have. Obviously to play I’d have to buy a whole lot more… I do however have a PILE of 15mm Falklands miniatures from MJ figures. Because... well... having stuff in just one scale is never enough…. (especially a niche figures for a conflict like the falklands). Anyway, I like the 20mm but I have piles of 15mm – I’m sure I have plenty enough for the British.. might need to pick up a few more Argentineans… so that’s probably the way I’ll end up going… although I'm not sure where will I find support weapon platoons in 15mm..? Mortars, etc? Maybe Peter Pig’s AK-47 stuff?

I had thought, some years ago, that I’d like to do a campaign this year for the 25th anniversary – but that’s just not going to happen… maybe for the 30th.. Will anyone even remeber it then? Does anyone even remember it now...?

Anyway here’s some pics of the toys

(remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


Argentinean Marines


Argentinean Army


British Royal Marine Commandos

No comments:

Post a Comment