Sunday, June 20, 2010

Diggers


If you thought I was talking about grave diggers or archaeological excavators you were horribly, horribly wrong…

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


These Aussies are from Battle Honors, as are the gunners below…


That’s it for diggers for a bit. Here’s the lot of them (for the moment...):


I should finish off the Japanese that I have. Then I could say I have all of the WW2 in the Far East stuff I have done… Of course that’s not all that terribly much – understrength Digger and Jap platoons, and a solitary squad of Jarheads… still, finished (for now) is still finished (for now!).

I would, at some point, like to add a third section of Diggers… maybe some mortars and Vickers MGs… If I went really crazy maybe I could pick up a Matilda tank… but that’d be a long way off! I’d pick up some more Japanese infantry before I started buying tanks for either side!

And now for something completely different…


This Nursing Sister is from Pulp Figures. I’ve had her for a couple years but just never got around to painting her…

Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

Hmmmmm… Elves? Giant? Should try and do some Germans, but it’ll probably be Canucks!

6 comments:

  1. If you have Aussies, you should definately get some Kiwis :-)

    That's not a fruit by the way, although they're generally small brown and furry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They had different hats, did they not? hard to find any one that makes them. I suppose I could just get more in the helmets and just CALL them Kiwis (or diggers... or tommies... or Canaucks, for that matter)

    I am familiar with the small flightless bird that shares the name with the fruit. T Patrol painted them on their trucks (New Zealand contingent for the LRDG patrol).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fruit is actually originally from China. When I was little it was called a Chinese Gooseberry. It became a Kiwifruit for marketing reasons. Outside of NZ it seems to get shortened to just Kiwi, which we don't do as we use that word to refer to the bird or ourselves. So TV shows where they talk about eating Kiwis tend to make us shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha!

    From China, huh!? Well you learn something new every day! I thought maybe they were called kiwifruit because kiwis (the birds) ate them or something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping you were talking about the British Diggers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diggers) and would be waging running battles between the land owners and the diggers for equality over hierarchy! But the Aussies are definitely cool too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man! Don't even MENTION the English Civil War!? I was actually just eyeing up the bins of unpainted stuff and thinking I could knock off a second ECW army and start playing some DBA the other day - I could so totally be easily distracted by that!

    Stay on target!

    STAY ON TARGET!!!

    ReplyDelete