Thursday, April 25, 2024

Warhammer Underworlds - Blocked Hex Terrain Project

Didn't do a Work-in-Progress Wednesday post this week as... well... I hadn't done any work this past week (other than finishing up the three undead for Cursed City). Been having some health issues and feeling a bit down... Hopefully this next week will be better! 

Something arrived in the mail this week, though, and I thought I'd share a bit about that.... 

Now, if you've been following along, you are no doubt aware that I am a little HYPER-fixated on Warhammer Underworlds at the moment. I've played forty games so far this year!? Also, I have discovered that I really do like playing with terrain bits sitting in the blocked hexes! I have some that Games Workshop produced for Nightvault and Beastgrave (here and here and here - and there is still more to paint!). But they stopped after that and so I don't have any specific things for the Harrowdeep, Gnarlwood or Deathgorge settings... So I thought I'd make my own... some reefs for Harrowdeep? Log piles for Gnarlwood? Heaps of snow and ice for Deathgorge. 

I've seen that there are laser cut wooden (or plywood or MDF) hexagons of various different sizes available on Amazon for not-totally-insane prices, so I thought I'd try and pick up some of an appropriate size to use as a base... Finding an appropriate size, wasn't as easy and straightforward as one might think it should be. 

The Hexagons on the board are 50mm from flat edge to flat edge, about 58mm from point to point, and each of the edges are about 29mm . A lot of the listings on Amazon were just listed as "60mm" with no diagram or description of WHERE that measurement was taken... flat edge to flat edge? point to point? along one of the edges!?

Posts WITH diagrams weren't much help either... 

A lot that did have diagrams looked like this!? At first glance it seemed like they were suggesting it was 6cm (60mm) both from flat edge to flat edge AND point to point...? That's... not how Hexagons work!

I did notice, on closer inspection that the lower arrows did NOT go all the way from point to point... so... MAYBE this was... accurate... -ish...?

But then I noticed IN THE SAME LISTING as the for the above 60mm hexagon, they had THIS diagram for their 40mm hexagons!? If these "40mm Hexagons" were, indeed 40mm along the edge, then they would be BIGGER than the "60mm Hexagons" in the same listing that were show to have been measured flat edge to flat edge... sort of... maybe... 

So I decided THAT seller could clearly not be trusted with any measurements... 

Another seller had THIS diagram for their 50mm hexagon!? JFC, WHAT!? How do they not see that those two lines are NOT THE SAME LENGTH!?!?

In the description of the produce it even claimed the dimensions were 50mm x 50mm x 2mm.... WTF!? 

NOT HOW HEXAGONS WORK

Math is hard, I guess...?

I did find another seller that had this diagram, which was much clearer... but theirs cost 4x what the others were selling things for... and I just did not want to spend THAT much money on a little project that I didn't really NEED to do in the first place... 

Also, though... which is it? 2" or 50mm...? I mean, they are CLOSE, but not exactly the same?!

And then I found this one... and it described the hexagons as 50mm ( I think) and had an actual picture of a ruler next to it and that was right - as I mentioned, edges for a Hexagon that is 50mm from flat edge to flat edge would be about 28mm along one of the edges... The only problem was it LOOKED like a plywood... but was described as MDF...!? I decided I didn't care if it was MDF and went for it anyway (They were also marginally cheaper than most of the others)! 

Three weeks later (which was this past week) they arrived!

Maybe it's a super thin veneer over an MDF core...? 

And they happen to be the PERFECT size! 

So hopefully, at some point, I will be posting some scratch-built terrain bits for some of the OTHER Warhammer Underworlds settings... Probably Deathgorge first, as piles of ice seem like they'd be the easiest to knock out quickly! 

6 comments:

  1. Ah, the joys of online shopping and not being sure exactly what you are getting. Glad it worked out! I'll look forward to seeing what you do with them.
    Haven't been doing much hobby-wise. I have unpainted minis, but none have been "calling" me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Maybe it's the weather... we had ANOTHER snow storm a week ago.. and now it's +20°C!? The sudden changes are throwing me off my mojo! Though now that it's nicer I have been getting out for more bike rides!

      Delete
  2. Glad you found something at last! This sort of issue is where a 3d printer really comes in handy, and of course you could have always cut your own...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! Yes! I had thought of cutting my own. I have lots of scraps of thin MDF and Plywood and figured I could trace the objective sounters and rough cut them out with my jigsaw and smooth out the edges with the belt sander... but that seemed like a LOT of work... and the ones I bought were, like $13.... for FIFTY!? So I decided to take a gamble and if it worked out it worked out and if they were too big or two small... I had other ideas I could use them for and then just cut out a half-dozzen on my own.

      Yeah... 3D printers do look cool... but, damn... I already have more stuff than I am likely EVER to paint. Having a printer would add SO MUCH MORE to all of that!?

      Delete
    2. it really does!

      I think there is a jig that makes cutting hexes from squares relatively easy, but I try not to let stuff like that stay in my brain, because then I might try it.

      Delete