Monday, April 1, 2024

Game Plan 2024 - Q2

Looking back at Game Plan 2024-Q1... I didn't so much as have a PLAN as I had loose hopes and general intentions... and not a lot else... 

Q1 Review

Role-Playing Games

I'd really wanted to get a Role-playing game going of some sort. I was pretty excited about Blade Runner or Twilight: 2000... Or maybe Wrath & Glory or Hellboy... 

In the end I did make a plan to start running a Soulbound game - rekindling the online campaign and running a one-shot for some local people... but about a week before both of those were to start.... My mom ended up in the hospital and I got a little distracted by that and... I haven't picked that up again... 

I DO still hope to get SOME kind of role-playing game going on again at some point this year... but I'm not sure when ore where that's going to be or who it might involve. 


Solo/Co-op Games

I'd also suggested I might like to continue the Five Parsecs from Home games I started last year... or start a Five Leagues from the Borderlands campaign... or maybe return to Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress... or finish up the miniatures for Warhammer Quest : Cursed City (or Silver Tower... or Shadow over Hamerhal...). Or even get back to playing Hellboy the Board Game... 

NONE of these have happened either. 

I DID get some of the fantasy Warhammer Quest games onto the workbench and worked on a few of them, here and there... but nothing finished up... 


Board Games

I had hoped to get a regular-ish game night going on... Play some board games... 

We Did have ONE evening that some friends came over and played some games... 

I've KIND OF done that... but it's really been just ONE board game!? Almost every Sunday this year, so far, our friends Nic and Orion have come over and played Warhammer Underworlds.. which is KIND OF a board game... but also KIND OF a miniatures game... 

I did NOT make any sort of plans for any kind of "challenges"


Miniature Games

I'd mentioned I'd like to get back to some skirmish gaming - Kill Team or Warcry... or any of the games by Dan Mercy... Or get back to playing Warhammer Underworlds and Warhammer 40,000. 

As noted above, I very definitely got back to playing Warhammer Underworlds and did play a few games of Warhammer 40,000! 


Game Weekend

I was still trying to figure out what I might do for my Birthday weekend at the beginning of the year... and at some point that gelled into running two games of Warhammer, Age of Sigmar: Soulbound - one on Saturday, in-person, for local peoples and another on the Sunday, online, for not-so-local peoples. That got cancelled, as mentioned above. 

I've made no further plans for any sort of game weekend this year, so far...


Conventions

No conventions happened that I went to.


Tournaments

I DID play in the Strange Bedfellows Warhammer 40,000 Team Tournament in February! 


THE Q1 GAMES

Here is what I've actually played so far this year:

  • Warhammer Underworlds: Deathgorge x36
  • Warhammer 40,000 (Tenth Edition) x6
  • Splendor x4
  • Abyss x1
  • The Hanging Gardens x1
  • SET x1

Total: 49 Games! That's not nothing! So what if most of them were Warhammer Underworlds!? I'm playing games, right!? 


Q1 MINIATURES PLAN

The only plan was to paint the stuff I needed for the 40K tournament and get some Warhammer Underworlds warbands done... the list I'd posted looked like:

  1. Manticore (40K - Self-Propelled Storm Eagle Rocket Launcher) 
  2. Manticore (40K - Self-Propelled Storm Eagle Rocket Launcher) 
  3. Basilisk (40K - Self-Propelled Artillery) 
  4. Basilisk (40K - Self-Propelled Artillery) 
  5. Scout Sentinel (40K) 
  6. Scout Sentinel (40K) 
  7. Ephilim’s Pandaemonium (Warhammer Underworlds Warband)
  8. Thricefold Discord  (Warhammer Underworlds Warband)
  9. Cyreni’s Razors  (Warhammer Underworlds Warband)
  10. Blackpowder's Buccaneers (Warhammer Underworlds Warband)
  11. Hexbane’s Hunters (Warhammer Underworlds Warband)
  12. Elathain's Soulraid (Warhammer Underworlds Warband)
  13. Shadeborn (Warhammer Underworlds Warband)

So I got MOST of those done - and then some! Yay! 

No Skaven for Warcry or Dwarves for Dragon Rampant that I'd suggested I might also try to work on... but STUFF GOT DONE! Not at the crazy levels I used to paint a decade or so ago... but... not nothing! 

Here's what I did get done:

Totals: 38 x 28mm Miniatures, 5 Vehicles, 12 Tokens and Little Bitz

I did end up BUYING quite a few minaitures in the first quarter of the year... with the renewed interest in Warhammer Underworlds, there were a few warbands released during my hiatus that I tried to track down... 

Q1 Total: 73

Mostly warbands for Warhammer underworlds... TWO of these warbands (13 miniatures) I've already completed!? (Other Ones I've painted is stuff I already had!)


GAME PLAN 2024 - Q2

Like the First Quarter Plan, I don't think I'm going to make any hard and fast predictions of Plans... Just set some general intentions and then look back in 3 months, without judgement, and see what I DID manage to do!

GAMES

I've mostly given up on "challenges" - like trying to play ten different games, ten times each throughout a year - or five games five times each in a quarter.  It was impossible to pick 10 games at the beginning of the year - or even five at the beginning of a quarter... even just the intention of doing that, leaving it open to see what games you DO play... 

I did have one idea for a challenge in Q2 and maybe carrying on through the rest of the year! More on that in the Warhammer Underworlds section below! 

I have arranged with a few friends to host a Game Night every second Friday, starting the first week of April, so we should see a BIT more diversity in gaming! 


Role-Playing Games

I'd still really like to get SOME kind of role-playing game going on... I'd still be very much interested in playing any or ALL of the games listed in the Q1 plan... but, realistically, it'd probably be far more likely to happen if I tried to focus on ONE and just do that.... and the one I'm most likely to be able to focus on (given my current obsession with Warhammer Underworlds) would be...

Warhammer, Age of Sigmar: Soulbound.

Would LOVE to get a game of this going either online or in-person.... or.... ideally... BOTH!


Solo/Co-op Games

Still love the idea of playing around with a solo adventure campaign at some point... probably not going to be THIS quarter. 

I would LOVE to try playing any of the Warhammer Quest fantasy games (Silver Tower, Shadow over Hamerhal, or Cursed City). While I'm really haveing a LOT of fun playing Warhammer Underworlds at the moment, there isn't much of a campaign narrative... I mean there is background fluff and you could weave together some sort of narrative... if you were playing the same warband all the time. I'd thought of doing that at one point - maybe from the point of view of Morgwaeth (as that is the ONLY warband Amanda played for the longest time. If I can't play a role-playing game, it would be fun to play a miniature games with a bit more of a narrative to it - like the Warhammer Quest games... but to play any of those, I'd need to get a LOT of painting done. So probably not THIS Quarter. 

(More on miniature painting in a bit!)


Board Games

Again, I'd like to get playing some OTHER board games... not just Warhammer Underworlds... I have started talking to a few people about possibly having Friday evening as a regular board game night... It would be good to get that going before Finnegan decides to move his (currently Monday Night) D&D game BACK to Fridays and monopolize the game room on BOTH Friday and Saturday evenings again!? 

(I will probably play a LOT of Warhammer Underworlds, though... so much so, that I think it's time it gets it's own category!?)


Miniature Games

I would like to try a few games of Warcry... 

I still like all the other games... but... I don't know... I'm kind of focused on Warhammer Underworlds right now... 

I mean, ALL of the games I listed in the Q1 Plan (Kill Team, 40K, all the Song of... games from Ganesha Games, all of the games by Dan Mercy, One Hour Wargames, etc) are still of great interest to me... and I'll probably get back to them at SOME point... but things go better when I can remain focused on ONE THING and I'm focused on Warhammer Underworlds at the moment. 


Warhammer Underworlds

Maybe it just needs it's own category at this point... It feels more like a board game than a miniature game most of the time... but it does HAVE miniatures and kind of scratches that itch for me right now. It has the convenience of a board game - takes up little space, less preparation and set-up time, doesn't take very long to play (compared to most traditional miniature games). But has small warbands of really interesting miniatures that I cam paint... and then move on to a totally different one... 

I've been playing a LOT of Warhammer Underworlds so far this year (36 GAMES!? which is more in the last three months than I played in all of 2022 when I started playing!?) and I don't see that stopping any time soon. 

It might be fun to try and set up a community and play with some other people... but that seems like work... 

Regardless, one thing is for certain about this coming Quarter is I'll probably be playing a lot of Warhammer Underworlds... 

Because most of the games I'll probably end up playing are going to be Warhammer Underworlds, I thought maybe I could try and set myself a challenge of playing five different WARBANDS five time each this quarter? And possibly shoot for playing TEN different warbands, TEN times each through the year! 

So far, this year, I have played:

  1. Wurmspat x14
  2. Thricefold Discord x6
  3. Blackpowder's Buccaneers x4
  4. Grinkrak's Looncourt x3
  5. Cyreni's Razors x1
  6. Hrothgorn's Mantrappers x1
  7. Mollog's Mob x2
  8. Dread Pageant x1
  9. Ephilim's Pandemonium x1
  10. Magore's Fiends x1
  11. Skabbik's Plaguepack x2

Done with Wurmspat! I'll definitely be trying out the NEW Mollog's Mob cards. I can't believe I've played the Thricefold Discord six time already... It's not like I feel like it's helped me get any BETTER at playing them... Mind you, I've apparently played Wurmspat FOURTEEN times and I don't feel like I'm any better and playing THEM!?

I think I'm going to try this... I'm not going to set out for sure what the five will be for the next quarter.. . let alone ten for the year! But let's see if I can play five different warbands five times each for Q2!  

(Though I could guess that the five in the next quarter will probably be Thricefold Discord, Grinkrak's Looncourt, Mollog's Mob, Skabbik's Plaguepack, and... Maybe Ephilim's...? Or Hrothgorn...? Or the Dread Pageant!?)


Tournaments/Conventions

Despite having sworn off conventions and miniatures and other larger public events... I went to a tournament earlier this year and I was briefly considering going to one or two Warhammer Underworlds events in Calgary and/or Edmonton in May and June, respectively!?

In the end, After WAY TOO MUCH contemplating possible methods of travel and places to stay and the costs of all these things. I decided it probably just wasn't a realistic possibility for THIS YEAR. Costs and other logistical considerations aside,  there are too many things going on HERE in May and June (mostly involving Keiran and helping them actually FINISH high school... and.. other stuff..) and I just don't think I could get away for either of those weekends. And, even IF I could... it would be travel there the day before, stay one night, play in tournament, stay a second night, travel home the next day. It would be hundreds of dollars to play in a tournament against people I totally don’t know who could all suck and I wouldn’t have hardly any time to visit friends in either city… so… fuck that…. 

Next year, though. There should be less going on and Amanda suggested it might be fun for the two of us to go - when we'd have a little longer and could stay and do other things and visit friends we have in those cities. She even suggested SHE might try playing in a tournament! (this is partly because after I'd explained the absolute BEAT-DOWN she'd dealt me with Magore's Fiends to our friend Orion, she'd kind of joked - but kind of not joked - that we needed to get Amanda to one of those qualifier events for the World Championships - which the events in Calgary and Edmonton are! - and get her qualified to attend the World Championship of Warhammer Underworlds!)... 

Maybe next year, though!

(Also there is an event in Ottawa that might be fun to go to and make a week of it and visit a bunch of friends we have there!)

Maybe if we get some organized play for Warhammer Underworlds going and organize a small local tournament...? I might play in that. 


MINIATURES

Painting

What am I going to paint...? 

Well, right now the plan is to paint for what I'm playing and what I'm playing is Warhammer Underworlds! Ideally I'd like to paint a new warband EVERY WEEK...

Warbands I currently have that still need to be painted:

  1. The Sons of Velmorn 
  2. Zarbag's Gitz 
  3. Zondra's Gravebreakers
  4. Myari's Purifiers
  5. Thundrik's Profiteers
  6. Crimson Court
  7. Shadeborn
  8. Skittershank’s Clawpack
  9. Spiteclaw's Swarm 
  10. The Gnarlspirit Pack 
  11. Headsmen’s Curse 
  12. Domitan’s Stormcoven 
  13. Hexbane’s Hunters
  14. Gorechosen of Dromm
  15. Ylthari's Guardians
  16. Grashrak's Despoilers
  17. Skaeth's Wild Hunt
  18. The Exiled Dead
  19. Steelheart's Champions (extra copy)
  20. Garrek's Reavers (extra copy)
  21. Storm of Celestus  (extra copy)
  22. Thorns of the Briar Queen (extra copy)
  23. Mollog's Mob (extra copy)

So, if I did manage to paint one per week, I would finish up ALL the Warhammer Underworlds warbands that I have by the third week of September... (including those that will be coming in the new Core Box in the next month or two and possibly up to two more independant warbands that could be released this summer!?)

Then what!? Well... that's really for the Q3/Q4 plans and it's best to NOT think too far ahead... but, I would really like to play something with a bit more narrative and I am interested in the Warhammer: Age of Sigmar setting... so maybe getting some stuff painted for Warcry - and get a campaign of that going.. or possibly setting out a schedule to get some stuff done for Warhammer Quest, so that maybe by the end of the year we could get playing THAT - start a campaign over the Holidaze...? 

That's a LONG way off... but maybe I'll sneak some characters or units of baddies into the queue. 

Acquisitions

There will be a new Core Box for Warhammer Underworlds in April - WINTERMAW - and possibly another warband...? Or maybe that won't be until summer... That's all I'm planning to buy. The Wintermaw and MAYBE a new warband (or two?), if they release another one (or two) in late spring/early summer (before Q3) and if it's of interest to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment