Thursday, December 30, 2021

British Riflemen (and Line Officer)

 earlier this month... or... maybe at the end of last month...? I placed a small order with Minifigs/Matchlock Miniatures - mostly for the Regency Zombie Hunters, but also to fill in a missing guy from a unit... and while I was at it, I picked up a few other things for fun. 

Two of those extras were British Napoleonic Riflemen. One from the Old Minifigs line and one from the newer Matchlock Miniatures Peninsular line. 

The matchlock Miniatures Peninsular line is... rather small.. as in the number of items available - the miniatures themselves are solid 28mm chaps. There are TEN miniatures in the entire like - two Brunswickers (officer and infantryman advancing), a Hessen officer and infantryman, three Portuguese (Officer, Infantryman advanincing and Cacadore), THIS BRITISH RIFLEMAN (reaching into his cartridge box), a French Cantiniere, and a Female Guerilla...  I ordered the Riflemen, Cantiniere, and Guerilla. 

The Matchlock Miniatures Riflemen has been added to Dulles Rifles.

The Minifigs Rifleman was needed to finish up a second unit of twelve riflemen I'll be using with Rebels and Patriots (and possibly other games). Both units are made up of a mix of old Minifigs and older Wargames Foundry Napoleonics - which aren't TOO out of scale.

I have a third unit of twelve Riflemen - though that unit is made up of a mix of Warlord Games and Perry miniatures models and, like the rifleman from Matchlock Miniatures are a tad bigger than these. As they are in a separate unit, my hope is that if there is enough space between the units the difference in scale shouldn't be too noticeable. 

I also ordered a British officer from the Matchlock Miniatures War of 1812 line... He's on a larger base, as I have done for all the leaders of my "Special Units" for The Silver Bayonet. He will lead another new until. Perhaps I'll take the Rifleman back from Dulles to serve with this fellow...? 

I also finished up some Royal Navy Officers and sailors... But I think I'll save those for another post. 

5 comments:

  1. Nice minis. That one rifleman in the first pic (the Minifigs mini) looks like a lad next the other mini.

    And I just got the point/pun of the Dulles Rifles. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm glad SOMEONE got it!

      I tried to make his background the exact opposite of Sharpe's.

      Delete
  2. I too am looking for some British and US types for the Silver Bayonet. Are they on the larger side of 28mm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are which on the large side...?

      The Rifles I have here are from five different manufacturers; Minifigs, Wargames Foundry, Perry Miniatures, Warlord Games and Matchlock Miniatures.

      The minifigs being the oldest are the smallest and look like a little on the small side next to the Perry Miniatures, Warlord Games and Matchlock Miniatures - like teenagers or undernourished adults, carrying scaled down equipment. I always feel if you have enough miniatures on the table, no one will notice, but in a small skirmish game, I understand most people will notice the difference and that bothers some people.

      I find the Perry Miniatures, Warlord Games and Matchlock Miniatures are all about the same size. Wargames Foundry, being a bit older, but much newer that then Minifigs are kind of in between. I feel like they can be used with either and not look too out of place... but I'm not exceptionally picky about these sorts of things...

      Hope that helps...?

      Delete
  3. Thank you, it does. I understood you had based the Matchlock Brit officer for the Silver Bayonet so was alluding to that range with "they".

    ReplyDelete