Sunday, October 1, 2023

Game Plan 2023 - Q4

How is this year almost over!? 

I didn't have much of a PLAN for Q3 to look back at... with summer and renovations raging ahead, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be doing all that much hobby stuff... and I didn't... Here's what I did get up to over the last three months... 

Q3 - GAMES

In Q3 I played... 

  • Wingspan x3
  • 1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War x1
  • Azul x1
  • Blade Runner: The Roleplaying Game x1
  • Carcassonne x1
  • Charioteer x1
  • Compounded x1
  • Cyclades x1
  • Splendor x1
  • Terraforming Mars x1
  • Wingspan: Oceania Expansion x1

Yeah... 13 games... wow... 

For the year, so far, I've played... 

  • One-hour Wargames x20
  • Codenames x11
  • Wingspan x8
  • Wingspan Asia x7
  • Splendor x6
  • Clank! In! Space!: A Deck-Building Adventure x4
  • Agricola x3
  • Century: Golem Edition x3
  • Azul x2
  • Codenames: Pictures x2
  • Terraforming Mars x2
  • Tinderblox x2
  • 1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War x1
  • Beyond the Sun x1
  • Blade Runner: The Roleplaying Game x1
  • Boss Monster 2: The Next Level x1
  • Carcassonne x1
  • Castles of Mad King Ludwig x1
  • Charioteer x1
  • Compounded x1
  • Cryptid x1
  • Cyclades x1
  • Hellboy: The Roleplaying Game x1
  • Imhotep x1
  • Kingdom Builder x1
  • Lords of Waterdeep x1
  • Shakespeare x1
  • Terraforming Mars: Prelude x1
  • Tyrants of the Underdark x1
  • Vinci x1
  • Xenos Rampant x1

87 for the year, so far... not terrible... 


Q3 - Miniatures

I painted a total of eight 28mm miniatures this quarter, and purchased 26 more...

Aye-yi-yi... 

Q3 - Painted
Q3 total: 7


Q3 Acquisitions

Q3 Acuisitions Total: 26


Q4 - THE PLAN

The renovations are... well... the end is... in sight, I guess... Drywalling was happening this past week. By the end of next week, painting could be happening... then the suspended ceilings...? Then some flooring...? (though some of the flooring will be waiting on cabinets to arrive...) Cabinets... finish plumbing... and then moving everything around and finding places for everything... Honestly, I'm not sure ALL of that will be done until the end of the year - when we might have time to devote to sorting and moving and such. 

If the renovation weren't enough... Amanda has just gone completely overboard with commitments this fall... I mean, as if the renovation weren't enough on top of a fairly demanding fulltime job... she's also committed to teaching EIGHT weekly yoga classes - each class being an hour long (PLUS the time to PREPARE each class...). AND she's spent the last month preparing and practicing a piece for the Saskatoon International Burlesque Festival - which was just this past weekend... AND plans to choreograph a completely NEW piece to preform at the Rosebud's Burlesque Club's Peek-a-Boo Halloween show at the end of THIS month... Does that all sound InSaNe?! But wait, there's MORE.... in addition to all this, she's also doing an online yoga teacher training thing that is every other weekend (two hours on Friday evening and then about seven or eight hours on the Saturday and again on the Sunday... AND there's homework and practice sessions she has to do BETWEEN those weekend instruction session!?).

Keiran isn't much better. They're back to doing three dance classes each week at a studio they danced at in the past and is ramping up for the school fall musical - which they will preform in December and Keiran will be VERY involved in... in addition to acting and singing and dancing, they are also doing a lot of the technical back stage - sets, props, and costumes (last year they sewed MOST of the costumes themselves!?). In addition to, y'know, SCHOOL....

That being said... I am SOMEWHAT hopeful that the hobby slump might... well... might not be OVER... but... I have some hope that a bit more hobby stuff will happen in the final quarter of the year... and at least by the Holidaze we might be getting back to playing games on the semi-regular... 

WHAT, exactly, will I (we?) be doing..? I couldn't say, exactly... If I had to guess... 

Q4 - GAMES

Looking at what i've gotten up to this year, so far (above), I'm obviously NOT completing any sort of 10x10 challenges this year... ah, well... 

Probably best to not even consider a Quarterly 5x5... 

Roleplaying

My online gaming pals did make Blade Runner characters a few weeks ago, and we're planning to play next weekend. I hope I can keep that game going for a bit - even if it's only every few weeks or so - at least to play through the adventure in the starter kit. After that..? maybe we'll continue with another adventure... or maybe we'll have a go at the new version of Twilight: 2000 or back to Wrath and Glory...?

I'd also like to run some in-person games... but that will depend on when the Game Room is available. Which will probably not be before November... maybe not even before December, or the Holidaze... In person I'd be keen to run the same things - Blade Runner, Twilight: 2000, and Wrath & Glory

I do still hope Finnegan will find some time at some point to run that My Little Pony Role-playing game for us... 

Board Games

Again, this will probably depend on when the Game Room is operational again... I'm hoping it will all be good by the holidaze and we can get some last minute gaming in before the end of the year!!!

Miniature Gaming!? 

Again... the Game Room....

I'd be keen to run some sort of skirmish games... maybe a short campaign... or maybe just try out the solo version of Stargrave (or Five Parsecs from Home)?!

Some of my miniature hobby time might be planning bigger things for the new year - like another online campaign or an in-person weekend campaign of some sort...? 


Q4 - Miniature Painting

With the end of the basement renovations and the Big Shuffle.. I should once again have a proper painting station and hobby space, to really get going on painting again. That might be in the new year. I'd like to keep plugging away at these Ninja All-Stars... and maybe a few Sci-fi things for Kill Team or Stargrave or Five Parsecs from Home- or any minis or vehicles or terrain I might use in any of the Role-playing games I might end up running. 

And the rats... I am still thinking I might run the Undercargard Challenge sometime next year... 

Though I kind of slacked off this past week... I'd still like to try and paint MORE than I've purchased this year - at least for miniatures (there is no way I'm going to get all the terrain that came with all the Kill Team boxes done... maybe that will be a project for NEXT YEAR!?) I have three months - about thirteen weeks 91 days. I've purchased 132 x 28mm miniatures and I've painted 62. I need to paint 70 more to "break even" - that's about three miniatures every four days... Nearly one a day... If I DID one a day, on average, I'd be totally in the black!? Maybe that's what I need to shoot for...? 

I just need to paint a miniature a day... and NOT BUY ANY MORE... 

Of course, now that I've typed that, GW will probably release an Emperor's Children Codex with a new Noise Marines box.... and, dammit, they'll probably simultaneously release a new Kill Team box that's, like, Noize Marines versus Goff Rockers - a 40K battle of the bands... and... it would just be so ridiculous that I just couldn't NOT buy THAT!?!? fuckers... Or a brand new version of Battlefleet Gothic!? 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with painting a figure a day and not buying any, what could possibly go wrong?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete