Sunday, June 9, 2024

Warhammer Underworlds - The Chosen Axes

The Chosen Axes are a Fyreslayer warband for Warhammer Underworlds. They were one of the first warbands released for the game, during the Shadespire era. Despite having painted a copy for John when it came out, I was never able to track a copy down for myself when I started playing three years later... until now... 

A couple week's back, one of the guys I've been playing with lately, Sean, said he had a spare he'd gotten in a lot from someone and would give them to me, along with a Gargant!? In the end I traded my older Karanak Model and one of my copies of Garrek's Reavers for them. 

I thought I'd knock them out quickly - how hard could they be!? They're nearly nekkid Dwarves with a helmet and axe(s) and a loin cloth... that's... like... four colours, right?

Wow... they took me a bit longer than I expected!? Everytime I thought I was done and ready to apply finish, I'd notice some other little bit on this one or that one... Ugggghhhh... 

but here they are, finally done... 

The Chosen Axes

Fjul-Grimnir

Tefk Flamebearer

Vol Orrukbane

Mad Maegrim

Orion has a copy and has played with them a lot... They are a tough warband to play with, considering they only have two move to start! They hit pretty hard - especially once inspired - and also once inspired start moving 3! They have to be holding an objective at the end of a round to inspire though... Orion's done okay with them using a Fearsome Fortress based Nemesis deck, though... so... might try that! 

I'm exited to have them... don't know how much I'll play them... 

5 comments:

  1. Another nicely painted set of dwarves.
    I have a band of dwarf slayers from back in the day, including one who was a Bloodbowl player, but I added a big axe to his clenched fist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! A guy I know won a Bloodbowl team in an auction and I turned the entire team into a Mordhiem warband. Looting Mordhiem is what they did in the off season, I guess? They were the Kill-Gory Stompeders (after the Canadian Football League's Calgary Stampeders!). I think there are pictures of them somewhere on this blog...

      Delete
    2. Yeah, here they are...
      https://saskminigamer.blogspot.com/2019/10/johns-orc-blood-bowl-teamwarband.html

      Delete
    3. Oh, right. That was 5 years ago now! (pre-pandemic) time flies. :)

      Delete
    4. It was five years ago that I painted the two wizards for the warband.... the rest of the warband was painted 20 years ago!? Yikes!

      Even crazier, I think they're still at my house!? He never came and picked them up!?

      Delete