Sunday, June 9, 2024

Warhammer Underworlds - (Stand-In) Chaos Gargant

This is a giant originally sold for the Heroscape game. I think his name was Jotun and he came in a box with a couple dragons and some other stuff that I bought at my local Toys R Us store - of all places!? I've never played Heroscape or ever had any intention to. The box was just super cheap and had a LARGE Giant and TWO Dragons that I could not get one of from any traditional miniature company for the price of the whole box!? Originally I'd put the Giant and Dragon on 60mm square bases for use in Hordes of the Things.

I never did get to painting or using any of the miniatures in the box for Hordes of the Things... and I've pretty much rebased all of my old Hordes of the Things miniatures onto single bases for use in other games. The Giant and Dragon remained on the large square bases, squirrelled away in a storage box... until now... 

When I got playing Warhammer Underworlds again at the end of last year, I remembered there had been a special Warhammer Underworlds character card for a Chaos Gargant  along with a scenario to play against a Gargant in a White Dwarf I'd picked up years ago. I thought that might be fun to play... So I looked into getting an actual Games Workshop Chaos Gargant... But the Chaos Gargant is, like, $85CAD (or a unit of three is $190CAD - cheaper in terms of cost per... but what would i need THREE for?!). That seemed like a bit much, at the time...

I know, I've spent $50 CAD on Grombrinal... and Cado Ezechair... What's the deal with not spending $85 on a freaking GARGANT...?! I don't know, at the time I couldn't justify it to myself... what if I only played it once... and it sucked... (not like that's ever stopped me from buying any miniatures... I mean, there are hundreds - thousands even that I own and have never played with!?) 

Regardless, I then remembered the Heroscape Giant!? I dug it out of storage and rebased it onto an appropriate sized base and started painting thinking it would work well as a stand-in... it was pretty close in size... 

Before I got finished, though, I actually acquired an actual Games Workshop Gargant... and interest in finishing this one almost vaporized!? Then, the other day, I decided THIS ONE is SO CLOSE to being finished, I should just push through and finish it up and then I can use it this weekend to play the Gargant scenario! Maybe if it doesn't suck, that might give me the inspiration/impetus to finish up the GW Gargant so I can take THAT one out to the Warhammer Store to run the Chaos Gargant scenario for Warhammer Underworlds next Friday!?  (Because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be excited about me showing up with a Heroscape Stand-In !?

Jotun the Heroscape Giant - rebased and repainted for use as a Stand-in Chaos Gargant for Warhammer Underworlds! 

Stay tuned for a Game Report of the Chaos Gargant Scenario!!!

2 comments: