Sunday, June 9, 2024

Warhammer Underworlds - Thundrik's Profiteers

When I started playing Warhammer Underworlds, I got pretty excited about the game and went a little overboard and started trying to track down ALL THE WARBANDS!? I ordered a copy of Thundrik's Profiteers and Ylthari's Guardians from a game store in Barrie, Ontario at the time - and they were still selling them for the original price! (or maybe even at a bit of a discount as it was dead stock to them, so I got it for the original price, including shipping...?) 

Upon opening the box and looking at their cards, motivation to paint them dropped sharply... they are... NOT GREAT. Despite the entire warband all having Range 3 attacks... they only do ONE DAMAGE!? Khazgan Drakkskewer has a 2 Damage attack - his range 2 Sky Pike... but that's it... Most of them inspire to 2 damage (and Drakkskewer's Sky Pike to 3 Damage)... but wow... they are not going to be a killer warband... What's even worse is that, again, with the exception of Drakkskewer, they all start with a Move of 2!? So they're not going to get anywhere fast to win by holding any objectives?!

They do all get significantly better when they inspire - almost all of them get faster, gain a wound and deal more damage when inspired... But they only inspire when they score an objective card... and only if Thundrick is on teh board... so you really have to try and protect one of your best fighters!? 

I don't know... they're fun looking models, and I'll definitely try them and play them occasionally because they look cool, but I don't have high hopes for them winning too many - or really ANY games... 

I was considering bringing them to the event on the 20th - but I'd have to pair them with a Generic Rivals deck, and I'm not really sure if any of them are really going to make up for any (let along ALL) of their shortfalls... Still it'd be fun to bring them, just to turn some heads - as NO ONE has played them around here. I don't think anyone I know even has a copy. There has to be at least ONE other copy in Saskatoon, though... because AFTER I got my copy from the store in Ontario, I notice MY OWN FLGS (Dragon's Den Games) actually HAD a copy tucked away behind some other stuff?! And I haven't seen it lately... so... SOMEONE must have picked it up!? 

Thundrik's Profiteers

Bjorgen Thundrik

Khazgan Drakkskewer

Dead-Eye Lund

Enrik Ironhail

Garodd Arnesen

I'll have to try them out with Amanda one of these nights and see if I can find some rivals deck that they don't TOTALLY suck with... Or... maybe I just do something totally silly with them, like take Breakneck Slaughter and shoot for the Wooden Spoon! 

And with these (and the Chosen Axes - posted earlier today), I am back in the black! I have now painted 96 x 28mm foot figures so far this year, and have only purchased 91!! With no othey purchases planned in the immediate future, I will hopefully keep ahead of the game for the rest of the year!! There WILL be some new Warhammer Underworlds warbands over the summer and fall, and a core box later in the fall... and if I keep it to JUST THAT I should be good... the only thing that could wreck that is if I do something stupid like buy a Spearhead box to play in some new Age of Sigmar league at the Warhammer Store through the summer... 

4 comments:

  1. Nice painting!
    To me (as a longtime fan of dwarven minis), they look like they ought to be able to dish out some damage, as well as take quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT!? They LOOK like that... and yet...

      I guess I'll only know for sure once I play them... but, on paper... they are not looking as awesome as the minis look!!

      Delete
  2. Looking cool is about 90% or MORE of what miniatures are for, and you have painted them well, so consider that a win.

    Now if they could actually win in the game, that would be pretty nice too I am sure...

    ReplyDelete