Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Odds and Ends – Samurai, Eldar, Great War, Modern Civilians


Here are an odd assortment of items I’ve been working on over the last week or so… There are a few other items I’ve finished up (members of the various Ronin Buntai), but I thought I’d leave them for when I have entire Buntai finished.

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version):


Three Geeks – from Reaper Miniatures


An old Rogue Trader era Eldar Guardian from Games Workshop. He is © and ™ Games Workshop (though technically I believe it was Citadel Miniatures at the time) and painted by myself and posted here entirely without their permission.



At some point I thought I’d run an Only War or Rogue Trader campaign for the kids and I thought it’d be fun to have a recurring band of Eldar that pop into situations sometimes thwarting them, other times aiding them, always acting on their own bewildering agendas which will likely make no sense to the players at the time, but may be hinted as later in the campaign. 



A later Great War French Poilu from FG MiniZ/Forgotten Glorious.


A while back they’d offered to send a free sample to anyone who asked. The have 1806 Prussians and some American Civil War miniatures – which I’m not particularly interested in – but they also have 1917 French – and the Great War IS something I’m interested in, so I asked for a sample from that line, and the miniature above it what they sent me. Now, I have no other Late War French… so there wasn’t any really need to paint this straight away, but I figured if they were nice enough to send along a mini, I thought I’d paint it up and show it off for them.



a few Ashigaru from Old Glory


This is another batch of Black Hat Miniatures peasants - so I now have 15 of them!


Three more Peasants from The Assault Group - though the one with the sword looks less like a peasant to me and more like a down-on-his-luck ronin. These as with the Black Hat Peasants above will be going in my Peasant Buntai.


Two Perry Miniatures Samurai for my Ikko-Ikki Buntai.


The banners are Ikko-Ikki banner that I found illustrations of in the Osprey book on Warrior Monks.

(I didn't manage to fit the entire slogan on the one...)


The remaining Ashigaru archers from the Perry Miniatures pack I used to convert three of to Monk Archers - these will also be adding to the ranks of the Ikko-Ikki Buntai!


Finally a Monto Gashira Bannerman for the Ikko-Ikki Buntai.(also from Perry Miniatures ) - the slogan is the same as on the back of the samurai - again I couldn't fit the entire slogan on it. It's supposed to say "He who advances is sure of heaven, but he who retreats will go to hell" - hopefully I got at least half of it on there. It would be terrible if it only said "He who advances is sure of..." - that would seem rather... uncertain...? Actually my calligraphy is probably unreadable to anyone who actually understands Japanese... probably looks like "Bit the wax tadpole" or something...

It was like Xmas around here today! Three parcels arrived in the mail (well... four actually... but only three are relevant to this blog...).



The first was this mysterious package...



GO Stones! (which may or may not ever be used for playing go... but WILL be used for playing Ronin!) 




The other two packages that arrived were orders from Perry Miniatures (containing a few additional Ashigaru for my assorted Bushi Buntai... and... something else) and The Assault Group (with the rest of the Sohei for Sohei Buntai #2)

Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

5 comments:

  1. Impressive eclectic mix of brushwork, Tim. Really impressive banners on the Samurai. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. a great assortment and fantastic painting - really like the 3 geeks.
    cheers for sharing
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful figures, details are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work, as usual, in your distinctive style! I like the bamboo effect.

    (maybe the banner just says "go to hell"...) (joking)

    ReplyDelete