Monday, March 18, 2024

Warhammer Underworlds - Cyreni's Razors versus Elathain's Soulraid

Amanda and I played a quick game in the afternoon on Sunday to try out the two new Idoneth Deepkin warbands; Cyreni's Razors and Elathain's Soulraid. We'd thought Nic and Orion were coming over in the evening and wanted to try them out BEFORE that... but then Nic and Orion bailed... so we only got the one game in. 

Amanda won the roll-off to choose boards and made me choose first - a wise choice as otherwise I would have oriented the boards with the short ends together ("longboarding") making it was easier to make channels for Cyreni's Hammertide ability (a target within a straight line is dealt one damage and is staggered!) 

I took the Hall of Sublimination board and then Amanda chose the Tortured Coil board. 

Amanda made the mistake of letting me go first, though, when I had Cyreni set up on with a clear path to one of her warriors... so I did the Hammertide and dealt Fuirann one damage and staggered her. 

As a reaction after my power step, Amanda placed her Shoal Token - where she could, in future turns, place the Spinefish! 

Then Tammael charged and... I think... dealth Renglaith two damage!? 

Alathyrr charged, stepping onto the location where the Shoal Token was - denying Amanda the ability to place the fishy there this turn... but she just replaced it at the end of my turn... 

The Elathain Ill-Fated charged into the brawl. Which, I think dealt Alathyrr two damage!? 

For my Third activation, Cepahnyr charged across the board onto an objective, and gave Fuirann a wallop with one of it's big tentacles... would have taken her out of action... but all successes does nothing against Amanda's single crit... 

(she was back to rolling crits again...) 

The Spinefish showed up... 

...and then Duinclaw, the Giant Crab, charged in... 

...and chopped poor Alathyrr in half with it's Crushing Claws... 

for my final action of the round Renglaith got out of there and stabbed at Tammael, missing... 

The board at the end of Round One... Things did NOT work out for me. I had one out of action, a second that was Vulnerable (one wound left). I'd only scored one objective (for one Glory Point) and wasn't able to score anything in the End Phase because I'd totally misread one of my other objectives... Ughhhh... 

Amanda wasn't doing a LOT better, but was ahead of me with Three Glory Points. 

And that's apparently where I just stopped taking pictures... Trying to sort out all these cards and trying to figure out how to get them to work together, with the warband was hurting my brain and required all my focus and attention...

I did manage to pull ahead by the end, and won nine to five!? Despite her small lead at the end of the first round, Amanda was having an equally hard time trying to piece it all together... and only scored two more point through the rest of the game. 

I think she scored one of them by killing Cyreni ... because Cyreni charged right into the midst of them and with Hammertide and a couple of upgrades staggered the lot of them and scored a few objectives before dying. 

Alathyrr managed to hang on and survive the game by completely disengaging and running away to try and score objectives - holding objective tokens in enemy territory. 

Elathain's Soulraid is a very aggressive warband. they score points for killing enemies and collecting souls... which is, thematically, what the Idoneth Deepkin are all about. They just don't seem as TOUGH or hard-hitting as some of the other aggressive warbands out there. They seem to have some interesting stuff and with some more plays (and maybe a Nemesis deck) could be pretty nasty! 

Amanda actually suggested playing another game when I relayed the message that Nic and Orion weren't going to make it... but this one burned me right out for the day and I suggested I'd rather try and get some painting done.  So, in the evening Amanda and I finished watching Percy Jackson Season One with Keiran and then finished off Season two of Community - and I got some work done on Ephilim's Pandemonium and the GARGANT!

No comments:

Post a Comment