Wednesday, October 16, 2024

The Lost Patrol

I picked up a copy of the Lost Patrol (from Games Workshop). This is the 2016 Second Edition and my FLGS - Dragon's Den Games - has had a copy sitting on their shelves for... I guess eight years!? I've noted it a few times over the years and thought about it from time to time... Not sure what prompted me to pick it up this time!? 

I'd noticed it again last week and looked it up on Board Game Geek and read a few other reviews. The reviews were varied. One called it a "solo game disguised as a two-player game". I noticed there was a generic, fan-made game listed on BGG based on the original first edition - used in lots of different settings. It can't be THAT bad of a game if it's prompted that many different uses... 

Lost Patrol

I mean, it cost less than buying either ONE of the squads included!? 

it's listed as 2-player and 30 minutes... 

Tiles. 

These are some OLD SCHOOL sprues! easy to find bits that you can put together, more or less, any way you want! 

The rules look insanely simple. There are lots of options on the sprues to assemble the Scouts in a variety of different ways... but nothing suggesting which weapon load outs to use for the game... The pictures all show a Seargeant with a bolt pistol and chainsword, a "Heavy Trooper" with a heavy bolter, and three "Troopers" with Shotguns... but it doesn't seem to differentiate between the different weapons... So I could build one or two with Bolt Guns. 

Though I've done most 40K stuff on urban or space ship interior bases - including all Space Marines and all of Finnegan's Genestealers - I think I'm going to do these with jungle bases to match the game board! Not sure which Chapter to do the Space Marines just yet... 

4 comments:

  1. How fun! Hope you got it at a good price after it sat there for eight years!!

    Looks like your 'stealers have a few build options too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did knock a bit off... but then, they do that for pretty much everything I buy, so...

      Yeah, everything has options! Reading the rules thought, A genestealer is a genestealer, regardless of what bits and bobs have been added. As mentioned the Scouts are; Sergeant, Heavy, and Trooper. The Sergeant gives a bonus in assault and the Heavy rolls an extra die when shooting and gives a covering fire bonus if he can see a hex being assaulted and is not in it himself..

      The only consideration is then - do I worry about their usefulness in OTHER games; 40K or Kill Team? Ultimately, I have decided NO! These will be painted up and dedicated for use in this game... If it happens to work out that they can be used in some other game... Wrath & Glory...? or some generic sci-fi game...? Great! but I'm not going to worry too much about it!

      Might give one a bolter and two others shotguns...?

      Delete
  2. And you should paint them as Lamenters! Barks has a guide to paint the chapter symbol (which is sort of a bear).

    ReplyDelete